Chapter 102

It's Christmas Eve, and Loki is thriving.

Tony must have noticed how restless he's been, because he put him on baking duty early this morning, and he's loving every minute of it.

He's just put the batter for the second batch of chocolate crinkle cookies in the fridge, which means it's time for another batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. And, of course, while he makes these atrocities, he'll be snacking on his favorite type of holiday dessert: the dozens of chocolate chip cookies he has on the cooling rack.

Then JARVIS pipes in. "Captain Rogers is bringing his guests to the kitchen."

"May I ask what guests, or is that classified?" He says the word somewhat sarcastically. The Avengers seem to love it, given that they use it so much around him these days, but he finds it more frustrating than anything.

"Sam Wilson and his family," JARVIS replies.

"Ah," Loki says. "It's rather rude of them to come while I'm too busy to leave."

"I do believe they're looking for you," JARVIS tells him.

"Well, that makes it worse," Loki remarks. "Did Rogers ask you to tell me?"

"He did not," JARVIS says. "But I thought you would like to know."

"If only the rest of the tower was as thoughtful as you," Loki says. "Thank you, JARVIS."

"Of course."

There's not much for Loki to do while he waits, so, after magically cleaning the flour off of his clothing, he returns to his cookie-making. He doesn't get very far before he hears voices in the hall, but he doesn't stop baking until they appear in the doorway.

"And this is Loki," Steve says, as though anybody in this world wouldn't know who he is.

Loki eyes the people in the doorway. He'd known Steve and Sam were coming, so that comes as no surprise. He's also not surprised to see a woman with them; Sam had mentioned possibly bringing his sister with him at the last party. But the baby. That one surprises him.

"Hey," Sam says conversationally, already walking into the kitchen. "How you doing?" He grabs a cookie off of the cooling rack.

"Why is there a baby?" Loki asks.

"That's my nephew," Sam tells him. "Cass. He's a cute kid." He takes a bite of the cookie. "Damn, this is good." He grabs another and brings it to his sister.

Sarah lets the baby go, letting him rest in the harness that holds him against her chest. She takes the cookie and takes a bite. "Hmm," she hums. "Not bad."

"I know, right?" Sam says. "Talented guy."

Loki looks between the two of them, feeling slightly incredulous. They just seem so... indifferent. He's a mass murderer. They hardly know him. Sarah's never even met him. Why are they so comfortable around him? This is so weird.

"You remember Sam, right?" Steve asks him.

"I do."

"And this is his sister, Sarah," Steve says. "They're spending Christmas with us."

"You know, you used to tell me these things beforehand," Loki says, not that he really minds.

"Yeah, sorry," Steve says. "Slipped my mind."

"And I assume Dr. Foster is coming as well," Loki says. Thor is still as obsessed with her as ever. He'd be surprised if she didn't get an invite.

"Yeah, she and Darcy are coming," Steve tells him.