Chapter 190

Knock knock knock.

"Hey, Loki."

"Go away."

Steve sighs from the other side of the door. "Can we talk?"

"No."

Again, Steve sighs. If he thinks this is going to guilt Loki into changing his mind, he's wrong.

"Look, I'm sorry," Steve says. "We weren't trying to keep you out of this. I just didn't want to bother you until we actually needed your help. I didn't want to wear you out just having you follow us around."

That's a choice that I should have gotten to make, Loki wants to say. He once followed Tony around for almost three days straight, and they barely even tolerated each other at the time! If he wanted to follow Steve around and stop him from doing something stupid, he should have had that chance.

But all he says aloud is, "Go away."

Steve sighs yet again. "Loki..."

"I'm mad at you. Go away."

"What can I do to make you not mad at me?" Steve asks.

"Nothing. Go away."

Steve heaves a very, very dramatic sigh, and there's a soft thump against the door. "I really am sorry."

"I don't care. Go away."

"Come on, let's have dinner," Steve says.

"No. Go away."

"You haven't left your room in days," Steve reminds him. "You need to eat."

"I have been eating," Loki says. "I have a fridge. Now go away."

"Are you sure you've been eating enough?" Steve asks. "I just want to make sure–"

"I'm fine. Go away."

Steve sighs once more. "Okay," he says. "I'll see you later. If you need anything, text me, okay?"

Loki just rolls his eyes. If he needs anything, he is more than capable of getting it himself. He doesn't need help. If anything, he is the helper here, as he clearly demonstrated when the Avengers were too distracted fighting each other to use their brains.

As he listens to Steve's retreating footsteps, he slinks down in bed, careful not to disturb the cats keeping him warm. Alpine has curled up rather comfortably between his crossed legs where he can't quite reach her, but he can certainly pet his own cat, who's perched on his chest with her face no more than an inch from his.

He's not entirely sure whether Alpine actually recognizes him, or if she just clung to him because he was the only person in the building and the one who's been giving her food. He chooses to think it's the former. He's come to love this cat too much over the years to admit that the bond may not be reciprocated.

Snowflake purrs quietly, and Loki lifts his head off his pillow to kiss her nose. She pulls her head back, as she always does, but then rubs her cheek against his. She may act like she doesn't like kisses, but deep down, he'd like to think she enjoys his love.

"You are such a good cat," Loki murmurs. "You are the friend I need – sweet, loving, and not suicidal." The Avengers should take some notes.

Snowflake rubs her face against his once more, and he nuzzles the sweet spot beneath her ear with his nose. Her ear bends backward, purrs growing louder, until she finally pulls away, only to rub against his chin once more.

"Such a good girl," Loki murmurs. He is so lucky to have a cat like this. He truly could not ask for a better one – not even a cat like Alpine, though he certainly loves that little baby, too.