Chapter 193

Wanda's never been to the Bartons' farm before.

She's met the Bartons, of course. They've come to the compound a couple of times, and she liked them well enough. But she's never even thought about visiting their home before.

And yet, here she is.

Right outside their front door.

... Is it too late to turn back now?

She's sure they know everything by now. Even if the kids don't watch the news, Laura must know. She must have seen the footage. She must know what Wanda did in Lagos. She must know about all the people Wanda hurt. How are they supposed to act normal after that?

Pietro, meanwhile, is ecstatic to be here. He brought his 3DS he got for Christmas, and he's been talking the whole way over about how he can't wait to try some more of the kids' games. It's the only reason she agreed to come, really: because Pietro really wanted to, and how could she say no to him?

The two older kids greet them at the door, nearly attacking Clint and Natasha with hugs. In spite of her uncertainty, Wanda finds herself smiling. They're such a nice family. She's so glad these two get to grow up not only with two amazing parents, but with an amazing aunt as well. She would have given anything as a child to experience this. She would have given anything to keep her family together. She hopes they know just how lucky they are.

Laura comes into view next, and Wanda's almost surprised to see that there's no baby in her arms. She hardly ever seemed to put Nathaniel down when they met at the compound. Maybe it's different when they're home – or maybe he's taking a nap? She doesn't know much about babies.

Laura greets them with a warm smile that really does help put Wanda at ease. She wouldn't smile like that if she thought Wanda was a bad person. She wouldn't smile like that if she was judging her for what happened in Lagos.

Laura gives Pietro the first hug, more a brief squeeze than anything as they exchange pleasantries, and then it's Wanda's turn.

Laura pulls Wanda into a hug, but unlike with Pietro, she doesn't let go after a few seconds. If Wanda let go first, she's sure Laura would do the same. She doesn't have to keep hugging her. But something about it is just so... nice. It's comforting. It's reassuring. And though she knows she could stop – that she should stop, even; it's already been so long – she just hugs Laura tighter.

"I'm glad you came," Laura murmurs. "It's so good to see you again."

Wanda hums softly in agreement. It's good to see her, too. It's good to be held by her. She needed this.

"How are you doing?" Laura asks quietly.

Wanda sighs. "I don't know," she admits. It's been an awful week. She hasn't even begun to process all of it. She hasn't even begun to process what happened in Lagos, never mind everything that's happened since.

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Laura asks.

Wanda shakes her head minutely. "Thank you."

"Of course." Laura kisses the side of her head. "Let me know if there is."

Wanda somewhat reluctantly lets her go – only because everyone else has finished their hugs, and she's sure this is starting to look weird – and offers her a small smile. She doesn't know what she did to deserve this, but she's so grateful for it.

"Is Nathaniel sleeping?" Clint asks his wife.

Laura nods. "But if you want to wake him up a little early to say 'hi,' I'm sure he wouldn't mind."