Chapter 44

"So it was a bomb," Loki says slowly, "but you say it could not be a bomb because there were no bomb parts?"

"Exactly," Tony says. "So unless someone's invented a disappearing bomb, it's not a bomb."

Loki stares at him blankly. "But you said it was a bomb."

Tony clicks his tongue. "Exactly." He pauses, breathing into his hands to warm them up before he continues. "I don't know what it is, but it's..." He shakes his head to himself. "It's not good."

Well, that's an understatement if he's ever heard one.

"And you suspect it somehow relates to the United States military?" Loki asks. It would be one thing if he was just flat-out accusing the military of murdering innocent people. Loki would believe it in an instant if he was. But Tony has yet to actually accuse anyone of anything, and that's where he's getting lost.

"Yeah, you know." Tony shrugs. "Somehow."

Loki nods slowly. "Do you suspect the bomb belonged to the military?" That's where bombs come from, right? The military? The government? What even is a bomb? He's pieced together a general idea from Tony's words, Clint's warnings under the Mind Stone's influence, and his very limited knowledge of Midgardian cinema, but he still doesn't really know what they are.

"No, it belonged to the Mandarin," Tony says. "I told you that."

Loki furrows his brows. "Then how is the United States military involved?"

"I don't know! Somehow?" He throws his arms up helplessly. "Look, I just almost died again. Can you do some of the heavy-lifting here for me?"

Loki cocks his head to the side. Does he mean the literal heavy-lifting of dragging the Iron Man suit around? Because he's already asked Loki to take over twice, and Loki has reminded him both times that he cannot physically interfere right now. Either he's just being annoying and asking again, or this is more Midgardian slang he'll never understand. He's not sure which option is more annoying.

"You should pull off into one of those buildings ahead," Loki says. "I do not expect our conversations to accomplish much when you are cold and exhausted."

Tony snorts. "You want me to break into someone's house?"

"Why not?" Loki says simply. "You are rich, powerful, and desperate. I think the benefits outweigh any potential risks."

Tony clicks his tongue. "Good point."

Tony does just that, veering off the road and into the first house they reach. He doesn't actually go into the house itself; he goes into the garage instead, which is probably a better idea. It's less likely anyone will see them. Tony drags the Iron Man suit over to the couch and props it up, making sure it looks comfortable before he sits down at the workbench. He rubs his hands together and blows on them a few times.

Loki walks around, taking in the sights. It's very cluttered in here. There are a lot of little parts lying around. He's not sure what they are or what they do, but that's how he feels about most things in Midgard so he's used to it. It doesn't stop him from taking an interest in them, trying to figure out what they may be.

Tony lets out a long breath. "Alright, what now?"

Loki turns to look at him. "Given that it is your life on the line and not mine, I feel I should leave that for you to decide, but my suggestion would be to fix your suit. You are all but useless without it."

Tony scoffs. "I am not useless without my suit."

"Of course, my apologies," Loki says sarcastically. "Then we should find the Mandarin first. Maybe he will let you smother him to death with a pillow."