Chapter 112

Loki stays with Natasha the whole time.

The others, they have each other. She doesn't have that. She doesn't have anyone.

She's in this cell, this cage, all alone. Eventually, even Ultron leaves. There's nobody here with her, and somehow, that makes it worse. At least if Ultron were here, there'd be an explanation for all the quiet noises, the creaks and cracks of the building. As it is, it only serves to scare her more, though she doubtlessly wouldn't show it if she knew someone was watching.

Until finally, a shape appears in the shadows. It's silent, stealthy, but she catches sight of it immediately.

She narrows her eyes. "Who's there?"

Silence.

"I see you," she says. Her voice shakes, just a little bit. Just enough to betray her feigned confidence.

Finally, the shape emerges.

And it's not Bucky who's come for her.

It's the Winter Soldier.

"Bucky," she breathes, eyes wide.

He struts up to the cage, and she instinctively backs up away from him. Without a word of warning, his metal hand locks onto the gate, pulling it off its hinges and throwing it behind him as though it were nothing. It lands with a clatter that makes her jump, but he doesn't react.

"Come on," he growls. He grabs her arm and pulls her out of the cell, and she lets out a groan, though whether it's in pain or just shock, it's difficult to say. Loki finds himself flinching, too. He hadn't exactly expected them to strike up a conversation like old friends, but still, he didn't think Bucky would be this... harsh.

Bucky pulls her along, and she stumbles after him as they rush out of the building. Loki follows close behind, watching to make sure they both get out of there safely – and that Bucky doesn't just abandon her in the middle of Sokovia afterward.

"Bucky," Natasha says breathlessly, "what are you–"

"Don't."

Loki raises an eyebrow. He's starting to think he should have just told the Avengers where Natasha was, because Bucky isn't quite the saving grace he'd hoped for.

"What are you doing here?" Natasha asks.

"What does it look like?" Bucky growls back.

Natasha doesn't ask again. She has to know he's trying to help; she's not fighting to get free. And as long as he's here to help, it doesn't matter why.

Bucky doesn't drop her arm until they're out of the building. He glances around, taking in the sight of the chaos surrounding them. With his attention on the rest of the city, Natasha has the perfect opportunity to escape. She doesn't take it. She stays right by his side, looking around with him.

"Fill me in," Bucky says. "What's going on?"

"You know about Ultron?" Natasha asks. She made the decision to trust him pretty quickly. It makes the fact that she still doesn't seem to trust Loki sting a little bit more, but, then again, she doesn't have much choice right now.

"I know enough," Bucky says. "Where is he?"

"I don't know," Natasha says. "He was here not too long ago. He couldn't have gone far."

"Then let's go find him," Bucky says.

Natasha raises her brows. "I didn't take you for a team player."

"If I thought you could stop him on your own, I wouldn't be here," Bucky says. "Where do we start?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."