Chapter 45

While Tony and Harley are preoccupied planning their next steps, Loki decides to look in on Pepper and Maya again. He never did make sure they really did get someplace safe. He supposes now is as good a time as any to check.

Pepper and Maya are both sitting on a bed, Maya with her legs outstretched while Pepper curls up by her feet. If they had been speaking, that doesn't last long; they both look over at Loki the moment he appears. He had expected to see the usual fear in their eyes, and while Maya definitely seems wary, Pepper just looks relieved. He hadn't expected that.

"Ms. Potts," he says with a polite nod. "Ms. Hansen. I hope I'm not interrupting."

Pepper shakes her head emphatically. "No, no, you're good!" she says quickly. "How's Tony? Is he okay?"

"He is fine," Loki assures her. "He is currently arguing with an eleven-year-old, so do with that information as you may."

Pepper laughs. "Of course he is," she says. "That's just like him."

Loki can't help the small smile that slips onto his face at that. "And are you okay?" He looks between the two women. He'd like to think they are, but he doesn't want to report back to Tony with confidence if he's not completely sure.

Pepper nods. "Yeah, we're okay," she says. "I'm just ready for all of this to be over."

Loki nods sympathetically. "I know."

"Do you know when that's gonna be?" she asks. "How close is he to finishing this?"

Loki shakes his head. "I can't say for certain," he admits. "He has asked me not to tell you exactly what he is doing. I suspect you would do best not to know, anyway. But Stark is smart and he is resourceful. He seems to be well on his way to putting an end to this."

"Wait, why can't I know what he's doing?" Pepper asks, furrowing her brows.

"I assume because he does not wish to worry you further," Loki says. "To just tell you the facts may sound hopeless, but I assure you, it is anything but. He is doing the best that he can, and that is what matters."

Pepper sighs. "Yeah, I guess..."

"Hold on," Maya says. "How do we know Tony's actually okay and you're not just saying he is?"

"You don't," Loki says. "But I would have no reason to lie about this."

Pepper frowns. "Yeah, but you don't really have a reason to tell the truth about it, either."

Loki presses his lips into a firm line. Great. Now she's doubting him, too. And he can't exactly prove that he's telling the truth; not with a thousand miles between them.

Finally, he just says, "You have no reason to believe me. I understand that. But I truly am here to help. Unfortunately, from this distance, all the help I can provide is relaying information, so that is what I am here to do."

"'From this distance'?" Pepper repeats, confused. "What distance? You're, like, five feet away from me."

Now Loki is equally as confused. "I'd assumed Stark had told you that I cannot leave the tower."

"Well, yeah, he did," Pepper says, "but you're standing right in front of me, so, you know..."

Loki shakes his head. "I am here only in spirit. Physically, I'm on the couch of Stark's so-called 'man cave.'"

Pepper stares at him. "Wait, seriously?"

Loki just nods.

"Okay, that's a new one," she says, clearly still processing it. "So why are you here? I mean, not here-here, but why are you helping Tony if you could just hang out back home?"