Epilogue

Today is the day. I can't stop smiling as I wait for those big doors to open. Knowing that the person I love the most is behind those doors and the fact that I will be able to see her any moment now is giving me butterflies.

I looked around the place to distract myself. The whole place is covered with flowers: different kinds but they are all white. The decorations are perfect. The coordinator did a good job. Everyone is smiling: the entourage, the guests, every person in here is smiling. I love how positive the atmosphere is. Anika will love this. I want this day to be perfect for her

I was snapped out of my trance when the doors finally opened. It felt like all of the wind was knocked out of me when I saw her. I can't help but stare at the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen. Everything about her is just so beautiful. The way her smile lightens up the whole room. The way the gown she is wearing fits her perfectly. She is just perfect.

She gave me the sweetest of smiles when our eyes met and everyone else seemed to melt into the background.  All I can see is Anika. I felt the familiar sting in my nose and I know that I'm about to cry. I tried to blink the tears away but it's just useless. By the time she and her father reached my place I was full on crying.

Her father even handed me a handkerchief to wipe my tears.

"It seems like I don't have to say anything," said her Dad before making an exaggerated sigh. "And here I thought I would be able to give you my 'protective father speech'," dagdag pa niya which caused us to laugh.

"Don't worry, Sir," sabi ko. "I will take care of her."

He just nodded and handed Anika's hand. "Never let go of this."

I looked at Anika to see that she also looking at me. "Never," I replied as I look straight into her eyes.

****

She gave my hand a gentle squeeze as we reached the altar. "You ready?" she asked.

"Girl, I was born ready," I replied which caused her to laugh.

I wasn't able to concentrate when the pastor started speaking. All I was thinking was Anika. Alam ko na we are already married pero iba kasi ngayon eh. This is my decision. I chose this woman and she chose me. We are getting married by choice. That is such a big deal for me.

We have gone through so much together. Some of which caused us pain, others, good memories. We have lost someone we love. We have been fooled by someone we love. We pretended to be in a relationship to make my  grandfather happy. We even got married because we thought we are going to lose him. It's a good thing that that did not happen, because now, he will be able to see us get married for real.

I still remember the day that we came clean and admitted everything to Lolo. We thought he was going to be angry but he did not. Hinampas niya lang kami pareho ni Anika sa ulo tapos tumawa na siya ng malakas. Siraulo daw talaga kami. He also said that he already knew everything, hindi niya lang sinabi sa amin kasi daw alam naman niyang kami talaga ang magkakatuluyan. And boy was he right.

The time for the vows came and let me tell you, everyone cried buckets. There are times when they will cry kasi na-touch sila. Other times, they will cry because they laughed too much. For example, everyone just can't stop laughing when we talked about how we will sneak out of our houses and drive to KFC tapos mahuhuli kami pagkauwi.

Now it's time to seal our fate with each other. I looked straight into Anika's eyes as the pastor said those words.

"Do you, Alessandro P. Rodriguez, re-affirm Anika Nicolette as your wife? Will you continue to live your life openly with her, and speak the truth to her with love? Will you continue to honor and tenderly care for her? And will you continue to cherish and encourage her fulfillment as an individual throughout all the years ahead of you in your shared life?"

"I do," I replied while offering my wife a smile which she sweetly returned.

Now it is Annie's turn.

"Do you, Anika Nicolette G. Rodriguez, re-affirm Alessandro P. Rodriguez as your husband?" the pastor started. "Will you continue to live your life openly with him, and speak the truth to him with love? Will you continue to honor and tenderly care for him? And will you continue to cherish and encourage his fulfillment as an individual throughout all the years ahead of you in your shared life?"

Without missing a beat she replied, "I do."

I don't know if it is just me but I didn't hear what the pastor said after that. All I know is that I love the person in front of me and I can't to spend the rest of my life with her.

***

We are now at the reception for our wedding. Everything has been great. The food is delicious, the program went well, everyone is having a great time.

We are in the middle of the dance floor because it is time for the first dance of the newly wed.

We held each other as we sway to the music.

"How are you feeling Mrs. Rodriguez?" I asked Annie which caused her to smile.

"Very good, Mr. Rodriguez," she replied. "How about you?"

"Never been better," I replied before giving her a kiss.

"I love you," she said. Her eyes clearly showing just how much.

"And I, you," I replied with the same intensity.

She just smiled after that because there is nothing left to say. Words can't describe what we feel right now.

We just continued to dance while holding each other tight. Trying to convey the things that words can't with our actions.

I kissed her forehead as I reminisce about the past.

So much has happened but I am happy with how we ended up.

At first, she was just my lover's sister.

Then, she became my bestfriend

Then, my secretary

Then, my wife

Now, she is my everything.

The End.