Chapter 2 - The Sorting

Daphne's POV

As we entered the great hall with the rest of the first years, I gasped. 

'What, you've never seen magic before mudblood?' Draco taunted at me.

'I've performed a few magic spells myself thank you.' I lied without looking at him. 'And it's Daphne, thank you very much.' 

'Like the flower.' Draco whispered to himself.

I snuck a small smile at him. 'Yeah, also like the Scooby Doo character. And the fairy in Winx Club.' I chuckled.

He gave me a look of disgust. 'Don't worry Draco, you wouldn't know the wonders of the muggle world.'

He scoffed at me. 'Like I care.' 

I ignored him as Hermione started laughing, understanding my reference and soon started to tell me about Hogwarts and the bewitching of the roof. I listened in. She is so genuine but sometimes she can be a bit boisterous. But I shrugged it off. She really is my closest friend i have in Hogwarts.

McGonagall started calling out names for the Sorting Hat ceremony. I really hope I get Hufflepuff. I feel like it would make me feel comfortable and at home. 

So far many students have been sorted into their houses. This including Ron, Harry and Hermione all in Gryffindor. I kinda wanted to be sorted into Gryffindor but I don;t think I'll fit in at all. Someone pushed me forward gently. 

'They called out your name dummy.' Draco whispered. 

'Oh, Okay.' I replied, eyes wide. I was so nervous. I sat on the stool as McGonagall placed the hat on my head. 

Hmmmm a muggle born? This will be interestingg... The hat mused.

My knee was shaking nervously looking around the 4 tables to see all eyes on me. I gulped. I always hated attention.

The hat continues.

'... A Gryffindor? I feel it now. Haven't had a true Gryffindor in centuries! This sense, of bravery, feels just like home. Like Godric. Now, now, no more questioning.  '

'GRYFFINDOR IT IS!'

I smiled as I ran over the the cheering Gryffindor table. Harry and Ron cheered for me as Hermione pulled me into a big hug.

I looked over at the blonde boy as he gave me a look of pure disgust. I furrowed my eyebrows at his reaction. He was fine a few minutes ago before I was sorted. I nudged Ron. 'Why does it look like Malfoy is pissed at us?' 

Ron rolled his eyes. 'Hates Gryffindors that git. Basically every Slytherin does. '

I looked confused. 'We don't know what house he's in yet. He could even be a Gyffindor.' I said, hopeful.

'Just watch, Daphne.' 

As his name was called he walked over smugly. Before the hat even touched his head, it yelled out, 'Slytherin!'

'Told you so.' He said dryly. 

Narrator's POV

During the feast Daphne looked over at Draco's smug face thinking wistfully why he was the way he was.

Ron explained to her that it's the norm for Gryffindors and Slytherins to be enemies. Daphne almost laughed at how ridiculous it sounded. She couldn't believe Dumbledore supported this type of toxicity between these two houses at Hogwarts. 

'There isn't one witch or wizard that was sorted into Slytherin who hasn't gone bad.' Ron whispered to her.

Daphne frowned. 'There has to be at least someone who is still sane.' She argued. 'That's just the stereotype Ron. You are overdoing it. I'm sure some people are nice in Slytherin.' 

She tried smiling at Draco and some other Slytherins to maybe try prove her point. All she got from them were nasty glares and eye rolls. Draco gave her a threatening eyebrow raise, which was barely threatening to say the least. She sighed in defeat. 'Okay maybe you're right.' Harry Hermione and Ron all laughed, then Daphne joined in. 

****

At night Daphne was sharing a room with Hermione. She was writing a letter to her aunt at her desk while Hermione was ranting on and on about her excitement for classes. 

Hi Mimi!

I am terribly sorry to have missed your 27th birthday today. I hope you had fun though. Hogwarts is amazing! I can't believe it's real. Remember when you thought the letter was some sort of scam? If only you could see all of this now.  Everything is so surreal and I can't wait to start classes tomorrow!

I have got Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts , Potions, Herbology and Quidditch tomorrow. I'm so excited but a little nervous about Potions and Quidditch. 

I got sorted into Gryffindor house. Although i wanted Hufflepuff which was the kind-hearted and loyal house, I got sorted into Gryffindor. I'm super happy though, as I have a few friends I've made. Hermione Granger is also a muggle and I'm so excited to talk to her about muggle life. She seems so sweet but it doesn't even seem like she's a muggle. That girl knows everything! I'm just worried I'm going to be behind because i have no clue of anything whatsoever. I guess I could ask her but it would be so embarrassing.

I've also met the famous Harry Potter. You probably didn't expect him to be famous when we first met him on the station right? He's so humble about it thought. There is also Ron Weasley, the ginger boy in the huge family that helped us. He is also so nice and helpful. He has been raised by wizards his whole life so he knows everything. 

There is also this rude boy, Draco Malfoy. He is upfront and stuck up. He called me a slur which is considered very rude in the Wizarding World. I was pretty taken aback but chose to ignore any kind of mistreatment like you told me to. But sometimes he's pretty funny and nice. I'm just so confused if I can call him a friend now. Whenever I talk to him, I never know if I would get a nice Draco or a plain rude Draco. It's so confusing. But for now, I'm going to focus on myself and won't let his immaturity get in the way of my successes.

That's basically it for now. I'll keep you updated Mimi! I miss you so much, so please tell me how your birthday went and how you are doing.

Love you Aunty

-Daph