Chapter 24 - First Task

Silence. I looked at him, shocked. 

'You don't need to say anyth-'

I leaned forward quickly and our lips touched. I could see his suprised face, but I just closed my eyes. I'm thinking he did the same. Our faces were all wet from the rain. I could smell the scent of honey from being so close to him. His hands cupped my cheeks as he kissed me slowly and gently just how I imagined kissing Cedric would be like. 

*****
I haven't seen Cedric since the kiss, and today was the first task. i haven't even gotten the chance to wish him and Harry good luck. I made my way to the tent where the champions were. I saw Harry first. 'Hey.' 

He turned around and hugged me tightly. 'It's good to see a friend here.' Suddenly a something flashed across my face. That damn reporter. 

'Ahh, young love isn't it lovely?' 

I hated her. 

'Write this down.' she said to her magical notebook. 

'Silencio.' I said simply. 

Rita tried to open her mouth but nothing came out. 'That'll do it.' I smirked. I snickered as she ran out of the tent.

'You're amazing Daphne.' Harry smiled.

'Yeah she is.' said a voice behind me. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. Cedric. 'Are you alright?' he asked. 'I hate that reporter.'

'Yeah. I'm okay.'

Harry raised his eyebrows knowingly and smiled at me. 

'Good luck Harry you'll do amazing, I know it.' I said as Cedric gently led me away to his corner of the tent. 

'How are you Ced.' I said. We both sat down and he looked nervous. 'Doing the best that I can.' he sighed. 'How hard can it be, it's just... battling a dragon.'  

I put my hand on his cheek, looking into his brown eyes. 'It's okay. I know you're fantasic. Everyone does. You're gonna do well. Okay?'

I took a familiar blue liquid out of my pocket. 'I brewed it last night.'I said simply. 

He took it from me and inspected it. 'It's the calming drought. What about the homework task? Don't you need to hand it to him?' 

I shrugged. 'You need it more. I can always make another batch. Drink it. You'll feel relaxed.'

He popped the lid and drank it all. Immediately a smile came across his face. 'Thanks Daphne. I think now I'm almost ready.'

'Almost?'

He leaned in and kissed me slowly. 'Yeah, I'm ready now.' he grinned. '

As I was leaving I saw Harry really nervous. I did bring another calming drought. After he gratefully drank it all he turned to me. 'Daph I think there's a lot you need to catch me up on.'

I laughed. 'I think so too. But now, all you need to focus on is the task on hand. I'll be out there cheering!' I said, hopeful.

I walked over to the stadium and walked up the stairs to join where Hermione was sitting and watched the tournament start. Cedric was first and he was battling a Swedish Short Snout which was a dragon that had a blue, grey icy tone to it's scales. Cedric took a rock and transfigured it into a dog and made it run around the opposite direction to where the egg he has to retrieve was. He was getting very close when the dragon noticed. 

Numerous gasps echoed the stadium as the dragon turned towards Cedric. Although he retrieved the egg, the dragon lost interest in the dog, preferring to go after Cedric. The dragon burned Cedric on the side of his face, and he barely managed to get away from it. 

'Oh my god. I need to go. Tell me how Harry does if I don't make it back!' I yelled at Hermione as I ran towards the tent. 

I burst in, seeing Cedric being tended to by Madame Pomphrey, who applied an orange paste to his face to heal the wound. 

'Oh my god. Cedric. Are you okay. Of course you're not okay what was I thinking.' Cedric smiled at me through the pain. 'It's okay Daphne. I'm doing great.'

'Well, you did great out there. Everyone loved it.' I said siting next to him. He winced at the pain. 'Thanks Daph.' he smiled at me. 

I reached for his hand and held it tight. 'You were very brave Ced.'

He nodded his face beamed with joy. 'You should go out. Cheer for your friend.' 

'You'll be okay?'

'Yeah, promise.'

'Okay.' I planted a quick kiss on his cheek that didn't have the orange paste. 

***

Harry caught the egg after using the Summoning arm to get his broom. Everyone got up on their feet and cheered. We all celebrated in the tent after, and of course Harry and Ron's stupid feud ended. 

It was a prefect way to start the tournament.