Chapter 4 - The troll

Daphne's POV

Class with Professor Snape was so boring. He asked Harry this really hard question, and said 'Clearly fame isn't everything, Mr Potter,' when he couldn't answer it. I swear he's like Draco's older self. 

Hermione clearly knew the question tho, jumping out of her seat. I cringed internally at her eagerness for a question that clearly wasn't for her.

But throughout the class she was answering basically every question Snape asked. I read through my textbook while rubbing my temples. Potions was so hard. We were suppose to study and memorise the boil cure potion for next week and i frowned.

Snape noticed this and smacked his ruler on my desk. I jumped in fright as he towered over me. 'Miss Willowss..' he slurred. 'Since you so noticeably hate the homework I give you, you will not only study the potion but, make one ready by the end of the Christmas holidays. I silently nodded, but of course as I was expecting Draco was laughing. 'You too Mr Malfoy.' He added. 

Draco's smile turned into a frown  as he tried to open his mouth to protest but Snape cut him off. 'Class dismissed. Draco and Daphne, stay behind.'

'My father will hear about this!' he thundered. I stifled a giggle. He glared at me, and i stopped.

'Is that a threat Mr Malfoy, well seeing how well you two get along, you will both be staying back  for Christmas break to work on it together, hopefully sorting out whatever this is between you two.' 

Narrator's POV

The two walked out of class, Draco miserable and Daphne not phased at all. 'Why are you so happy about this Willows.'

'Well I'm going to be staying here for Christmas anyways so at least I'll have something to do.' She said walking on, trying to ignore him. 

Draco laughed and said something Daphne would never forget. 'Well I see why you'd stay at school, why would your parents want someone like you back in their filthy muggle house. Of course they'd send you to Hogwarts to get rid of you.'

Daphne couldn't even look at him. The tears came, and she pushed past the crowds of people walking back to their dorms as it was the end of the school day. She could hear draco's muffled voice calling after her, but she didn't care. What he said triggered something deep inside of her. Her parents. She never knew them. 

She went up to the Gryffindor common room and wiped her tears before she walked in. She smiled when she walked in, trying to find Hermione, Ron and Harry. Harry and Ron were whispering to each other in a corner. She walked up to them curiously, asking where Hermione was. 

****

'You what?' she yelled. 

'Bloody hell Daphne, this is a common room.'

'I don't care if it was a bloody library Ronald, why would you say that about her? I mean she is a know it all and sometimes it can be a bit over the top but she is the sweetest girl you would ever meet.'

'I guess..' Harry mumbled

'YOU GUESS?' She yelled again.

'I'll apologise after jeez Daphne.' They both said.

'I mean you can't just say that about someone, when you have no idea what's going on in their life. No idea of their thoughts, their past and their parents! It..it's j just so cruel.' 

She knew she was talking about Draco's comments now. She sat down on the couch and cried. Harry and Ron both gave each other a 'wtf is going on'  look. Then Harry pulled Daphne into his arms and hugged her gently. 

'What happened Daphne?' Ron asked gently.

Daphne ranted to the boys about her past. About how Mimi was her adoptive guardian not a biological aunt. About how she never knew her parents. About Draco's comment, and now having to work with him.

Harry sympathized with Daphne, but decided not to make this moment about himself. The boys made Daphne feel a lot better after a few minutes of chatting. The 3 left the common room joking and laughing for their last dinner before the Christmas holidays. 

'You just go, I want to go look for Hermione, to see if she's alright.' 

She walked around the school and heard crying in one of the girl's bathrooms. 'Hey Mione.' She smiled seeing her friend washing her face in the sink. 

'Hey.' she answered.

'I heard what happened. Those boys, they don't know what they're saying. Mione you are amazing. I wish I could be you. Don't listen to one of their silly comments, you're worth so much more.'

Hermione pulled Daphne into a long hug. 'Thanks Daph. You're an amazing friend.'

Suddenly the walls were shaking. The girls pulled apart and looked at each other in fear. A troll the size of the ceiling came bursting through the wall. They both screamed and locked themselves in a cubicle, shaking. 

The troll used his bat he was holding to knock all the cubicle walls, having it crashing onto the girls. Daphne looked around for her wand, it was lying on the other side of the bathroom. She crawled as fast she she could but the troll grabbed her by her arms and lifted her up into the air. She screamed, begging for help, but Hermione was unconscious under the pile of rubble. 

Daphne had to think fast, so without second thought she bit on the troll's hand, gagging a bit  and ran to her wand. 'DIFFINDO!' she yelled, waving her wand in swishing movements. 

The spell cut the trolls bat apart and slightly grazed his shoulder. He yelped in pain and came crashing down onto Daphne.

****

Daphne was yelling for help as the trolls stanky breath was unbearable as he lay on top of her. But the last person she wanted to see came rushing in. 

'A little help please?' Daphne wheezed.

Draco rushed to help her. 'Wingardium Leviosa.' he muttered lifting Daphne from under the troll. 

'Hey are you okay?' 

'Yeah.. I I'm fine.' she said still trying to catch her breath so she held onto Draco for support.

Suddenly Professor McGonagall, Snape, Quirrel and Dumbledore rushed in, seeing Daphne in Draco's arms.

They quickly leapt away from each other. 'Um i was helping her get up.. cause, you know she took on a troll by herself.' he rambled awkwardly.

McGonagall raised her eyebrows in surprise and Dumbledore smiled and nodded knowingly. 'Miss  Willows, you took on that troll?' 

'Well, yeah because Hermione was unconscious so i kinda had to.........oh my gosh Hermione!' she shrieked as she frantically flipped threw the rubble and pulled her out. The teachers all rushed to her in concern but Dumbledore smiled warmly at Daphne.

'Daphne Willows, you did good young lady. I have never seen someone so young take on a full sized troll before. 150 points to Gryffindor. And Mr Malfoy, 15 points to Slytherin for helping.'

Malfoy smiled pathetically and Daphne sniffled a giggle. 

'Daph you were brilliant!' coughed Hermione as she dusted herself off. 'Come on we should go enjoy the feast.' 

Daphne laughed and walked out of the bathroom hand in hand. Hermione really was her best friend. 

Draco watched Daphne and felt himself smiling again. She was amazing.