Chapter 42 - Dinner at the SlugClub

I pick out a dress and then do my makeup. My dress was simple short dark blue dress. I straightened my hair for the first time in what seemed like forever and wore some silver jewellery. 

I didn't have a date to the dinner being held. I didn't mind either. I could ask Ron but I know Hermione likes him and that'll be awkward. So I go alone.

It's a crowded party with Slughorn roaming around asking questions and talking to everyone. I notice Hermione squirming and walking around uncomrtably.. Then on the other side of the room I see Cormac eyeing Hermione weirdly. He licks his lips, still looking at her. I grimance.

I stand up and wink seductively at him and he follows me out of the room. I feel him breathing in my ear behind me and I turn around. He eyes me up as down smiling. 

I roll my eyes and knee him where it hurts. 'You piece of shit. Stop making my best friend uncomfortable. Learn how to respect women you dirtbag.' I grab him by his collar. 'You're gonna get in there and pretend none of this ever happened. And you're going to stop with this creepy act. Got it?'

He nods silently. 'Yes. I-I'm sorry.'

I walk in the room and Slughorn stands up. 'Daphne! You're back. Just in time for my questions about your learning.' 

Fast and uneven footsteps lingered behind me. I turned around. So did everyone else. 

'Get your hands off me you filthy squib.'

It was Draco. He looks worse than ever. His eyes are filled with darkness and he is pale and thin. Then he locks eyes with me then looks away in embarrassment. Filch shoves Draco towards Slughorn. 'Found him in the upper corridor. Claims to have been invited.'

Draco looks at me pleading silently. 'Please.' he mouths.

I roll my eyes and sigh. 'Professor, he's my date.'

Slughorn turns to me, looking surprised. 'Very well Miss Willows. Thank you Filch. You may go.'

I pull him by his sleeve and drag him over to a corner. 'What do you think you're doing here.' I whisper yell.

'Why were you and Cormac together?' he questions.

I stay silent. Then open my mouth to answer. 'You're ignoring my question.' 

'And you're ignoring mine. Are you seriously dating that dirtbag.'

'Ugh you're so infuriating! Just be thankful I did you a favor and enjoy the party.' I say walking off to talk to Hermione.

Later I sit at a table alone, drinking I don't even know what at this point. My eyes are droopy and I want to go back to my dorm. I stare straight ahead, thinking about everything. Draco walks up and sits beside me, getting comfortable and pouring himself a drink. 

He faces me. 

I sip my drink, ignoring him. 

'You look pretty.' he says simply.

'Shut up.'

'Rude.'

'I know. You look terrible though.'

'Ouch.'

'I mean it.' I turn to him finally facing him. My eyes lock with his, and it feels like we're friends again. 'Draco, what's going on with you.'

He looks away, almost hurt by the question. 

'I didn't mean to offend and I don't care about apologies, or being friends if thats not what you want. I just want to know.'

He places his elbows on the table and rubs his eyes. 'I'm sorry.' He takes his black jacket off and walks away to the mens bathrooms. 

I knew I couldn't help him directly. I know he won;t let me in. But I can do something else. I slip the vial of Liquid Luck I kept for so long into his jacket pocket. 

I know he needs it more than me.

Draco's POV

I went into the bathroom to catch my breath. When I looked into her eyes again everything came back. I wanted to love her. So bad. 

I steady my breaths and remember her voice her eyes her concern when she spoke to me. When I'm better I go out to the table we were just sitting at. 

It was empty.