Chapter 30 - Grief

Everyone hates Umbridge. She's been at Hogwarts for a day and all hell breaks loose. Walking to classes I feel numb. Everyday seems the same and I don't think I smile as much anymore. It's just this weight is put upon me and I can't lift it up.

I trudge to DADA, which is a class I hate, but I know the most people in. I feel like every class I never participate or talk anymore. It's never the same. I think everyone has noticed here and there, but they don;t know what to do about it, so they just leave me be, including my closest friends.

I don't think I've slept in days, not like I've kept track. I sit down at a random desk and slump my head on the desk. I need to sleep.

Draco's POV

I'm worried for her. She walks into the classroom physically but mentally shes not there. Her eyes are droopy and she has bags under her eyes. Her hair is tied up in a loose ponytail, with strands sticking out. Her uniform is loose and she isn't even wearing a tie. She slumps her head on the table and closes her eyes.

I wanted to hug her. Tell her everything is going to be okay. But my thoughts were interrupted by a thick book being slammed on my desk. Daphne jolts up as her book has been placed on her desk.

A shrill and annoying voice comes from the back of the classroom. 'From now on you will be following a carefully structured, ministry approved course.' She smiles a fake smile, while everyone flips through the pages looking confused.

I see Granger put her hand up. 'There's nothing here about using defensive spells.'

Umbridge laughs. 'Using spells? I can;t imagine why you would need to use spells. You'll be learning about defensive spells in a risk free secure way.'

Pathetic.

'How is learning about spells going to prepare us for what;s out there?' Scarhead piped up.

'There is nothing out there. Who would go out of their way to attack children like yourselves.'

'Ph i don;t know, maybe Lord Voldemort.' Harry responded.

'Lies.' Umbridge thundered.

'So Cedric Diggory dropped dead on his own accord.' Another voice. Daphne's. She was wide awake, and if looks were to kill, Umbridge would of been dead in seconds.

'Cedric Diggory's death was a mere accident.'

Daphne stood up and slammed the book on the table with a thud. 'You little piece of shit.'

'Dentention!' Umbridge thundered.

Daphne rolled her eyes, got up and threw the book at Umbridge's feet. Then she stormed out.

Everyone was in shock.

But as Umbridge continued the class, I feel like everyone felt like they wanted to do the same as Daphne, but were too scared.

****

Daphne's POV

'Come in.'

I opened the door cautiously and stepped into what looked like a room of a 5 year old. Pink everywhere.

'You're going to be writing some lines for me Miss Willows.' she smiled.

I went to unzip my bag to get out a quill.She stopped me. 'You're using my one today.'

She handed it to me. 'Write I must not tell lies.'

I rolled my eyes. 'How many times.'

'Well, as long as it takes for the message to sink in.'

I give her an odd look and started writing. My hand started hurting oddly with each letter I wrote. I winced and looked down.

What the actual fuck.

Cuts in the form of the letters I was writing appeared on my hand, searing pain was all I felt. But something was weird. The pain felt relaxing, and good. Like the pressure has been lifted off my chest. I continued writing, and I found Umbridge look at me strangely, and worried.

'Enough!' she shouts, making me drop my quill down. I looked down on my hand and the cut was so deep it was bleeding a lot.

I was pushed out of her office with no help whatsoever, no bandage, no wipes. I held my other hand infront of it so no-one would notice. The halls were deserted as classes had finished hours ago.

****

Narrator's POV

Draco was walking back to the Slytherin common room when he bumped into a fimiliar face. 'Hey Daphne.' he said, giving her a small wave.

She smiled back, but Draco's eyes wandered to her clutched fists. He furrowed his eyebrows and took her hand in his. 'Daph, who did this.' he whispered, inspecting it and looking into her eyes.

She brushed it off and continued walking. 'None of your business.'

'Jeez Daphne, I'm just trying to help.' he called running after her. 'Come I can help you.'

She shook her head stubbornly but Draco took her other hand and pulled her with him. 'Pureblood.' Draco said, as the doors to the common room opened.

Daphne rolled her eyes. Lovely password. She thought.

He got some bandages out and wrapped it carefully. Draco looked up every now and then making sure it wasn't too painful for her.

'Umbridge.' she finally answered. 'Stupid teacher. She made me write lines with an enchanted pen that engraves what you write on your hand.'

Draco had just finished bandaging and look up at Daphne. 'That bitch. Those punishments aren't even allowed. You should go tell Dumbledore.'

She shrugs. 'Dumbledore has no power over the ministry. And that piece of shit.Is the ministry.'

Draco sighs. ' Well then don't piss her off anymore. I've bandaged it up pretty nicely, so you should be fine, just make sure that hand doesn't touch water and also you must not take it off in a weeks time.'

Daphne laughed. 'Well thank you Madame Pomphrey.'

He chuckled. 'Returning the favour...'

'Wait here I'll be back,' Draco says and walks out of the room.
I slump onto his bed and close my eyes. I haven't sleep in so long... I'll close my eyes just for a little bit.

Draco's POV
I went to get more bandages and medicine for Daphne's and her hand from Snapes potions office. When I opened the door to my room, I was in for a surprise.
Daphne was curled up on my bed, in her school uniform sleeping tranquilly. I could tell this was the first rest she's gotten in a long time.

I go find a blanket and place it over her, 'it's going to be okay.' I whisper.

Then I laid a pillow on the group next to the bed. I'll survive the night.

I go to sleep hearing her soft, steady breathing..