Chapter 5 - Christmas, Potions and Draco

Narrator's POV

Daphne woke up to Hermione shaking her gently. She groaned and got up miserably. But her mood brightened as she realised it was Christmas. She jumped out of bed and put on some warm clothes. Daphne looked out the window to see it snowing. Hagrid was bringing in a Christmas Tree.

'Daphne come' Hermione called running down the stairs. 

'Wait Mione.' Daphne groaned, still not fully awake yet. She rushed downstairs into the common room and looked at the clock. 'Guys it's 5:30' in the morning.' Infront of her was Ron Harry and Hermione all smiling at her. 

'Happy Christmas Daphne!' they all exclaimed. She laughed, 'Thanks guys, wait right here I have presents for all of you.'

She came back with stacks of books for Hermione, Lollies and a Broom Kit for Harry, and a new set of exploding snaps and a whole box of equipment for pranks for Ron. 

All of them were ecstatic with their gifts. They all exchanged presents. The best gift given that early morning was a invisibility cloak for Harry sent by an anonymous person. 

'We can use that to go into the restricted section to search for names relation to Nicolas Flamel.' Daphne suggested. Last week Hagrid accidentally revealed to them that only Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel knew what the huge dog was guarding, under a trap door Harry stumbled upon.

'I'm sorry to leave you with the boys but I'm going home Christmas.' Hermione told them. 'But good luck with finding something about Nicolas Flamel.'

****

Daphne's POV

Later on in the day I went looking for the ingredients of the potion I was suppose to brew with Draco. I obviously didn't want to do it with him. So I'll just brew it myself and say it was a group effort to please Snape. I wasn't going to work with him, not after he disrespected me.

The instructions were pretty simple:

Add 6 snake fangs to the mortar. 

Crush into a fine powder using the pestle. 

Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron.

Heat the mixture to 250 for 10 seconds.

Wave your wand

Leave to brew and return in 33-45 minutes 

Add 4 horned slugs to your cauldron. 

Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient. 

Add 2 porcupine quills to your cauldron. 

Stir 5 times, clockwise.

See very easy.

I trudged into the herbology greenhouses, and took some horned slugs from the gardens. I put them into a jar then went into the Forbidden Forest to collect some porcupine quills. I know I wasn't suppose to go in there but what else am I suppose do? Steal from Snapes potion lab?

It wasn't as scary in the daytime so I thought i was fine. Finally 20 minutes deep into the forest I saw a porcupine. I snuck up on it and tried to pluck a quill from it's body. It suddenly turned around and scratched me on my leg. I hissed in pain as it stung. I quickly grabbed 2 quills just as it left me bleeding. I tried to get up but I couldn't. Tears came falling down on my face. I don't know how many times I've cried this year. Such a baby I thought to myself. I wiped away my tears as I tried to stand up again. clinging onto a tree for support. I'm going to get nowhere.