[ Zenitsu ]

A whole chapter about one of my favourite characters in immense pain? You know it!
INCLUDES;
- angst
- hurt and comfort
- mental imagery
- past abuse
- past homophobia
- tanzen
- mild manga spoilers! Name of character who threw peaches at Zenitsu revealed
——————————————

It was late at night, the sun far gone from the sky as every inch of space was clouded in a blackened haze, and yet Zenitsu still couldn't sleep. And so he stumbled out of the three demon slayer's resting place in favour of fresh air.

His breath came out in short puffs of smoke due to the temperature, but he could barely notice as hot tears began falling down his cheeks.

He'd been suffering from dangerously real nightmares, memories of past events distorted, for a while before this breakdown. He was too scared to sleep, afraid he'd uncover something else horrible that his brother had done.

He quietly recalled a dream about being beat, but kicked and punched only in areas that would be covered by his clothing. He remembered the taste of blood and begging to be let go. He remembered the sound of hatred like it was his own, and parts of it was.

Kaigaku infuriated him. He was far better a demon slayer than he could ever hope to become, and yet he was the worst person in his life. He recalls again the endless torture he was put through for being weak, or being too feminine for his brother's liking. It made his tongue taste of bile.

He swore to himself years ago he'd never hurt anyone the way his brother had him, the way he was still being hurt by mere memories of him. He wasn't sure why he even called him his brother anymore, remembering such vile actions from the same person who taught him how to hold a katana.

How could a family member, what he considered his own blood, be so cruel? He brought his sleeves to his face to wipe away the flow of tears, attempting to keep them at bay at least until he could sleep.

"Zenitsu?" A quiet voice of concern called out from behind him, which he immediately registered as Tanjiro's.

He turned back slowly to look at his friend, ashamed that his look of worry was intended for him, someone he considered unworthy of such emotion.

"What's wrong? It's so late, you need to come back inside!" His voice was loud, burgundy eyes swelled with affection.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," He stumbled as he stood up, wiping his tears as he does so, "sorry you have to see me crying so much,"

"No no, don't apologise!" The younger boy rushed over, holding his shoulders in support before hugging his friend tightly, "you don't have to tell me what's wrong, Zenitsu. I'll still be here for you,"

With words of reassurance, he finally began letting it all out. Crying words of truth between sobs and letting the other comfort him. He knew his brother would never approve of anything like this, he'd never be accepted no matter what he did in his eyes, but he couldn't care less in the moment. Nobody had ever shown him as much kindness as Tanjiro, he wouldn't give his heart to anyone else if he had the choice.

And so they stood for longer than intended, outside the small building they'd taken momentary residence in, each in each other's arms while his sobs slowly began to fade.