Chapter 60

Shigeru's POV:

It was here, the tournament. It reminds me of last year so much. Everything felt overly dramatic. I slammed Kentaro against a wall, we were crying in an ice cream shop, it was a mess.

But not this year. We're going to win this time. Our now graduated third years have all returned to see the results of our hard work.

Will we actually be ready? Who knows?

I it practice seems fine, but with work clogging up Kentaro's life, he seemed a bit off. Hopefully it won't mess up our plays.

First match was against a minor team from the middle of nowhere. They were tall, but had nothing else going for them. We won easily.

Secondly was Johzenji. They were unpredictable, but also unprofessional and disorganized, so we made it through. Our first year's defense struggled on that one.

The first day was over with two successes. There was only one day left, but it was more difficult than we expected. Kara sumo beat Shitorizawa easily, so the first match would be against Date Tech.

After a night of rest and good food, the team was relay to face Date Tech. Without Iwaizumi, it was going to be tough. But, we pushed through to the last match. Karasuno beat their opponent.

That meant that we were facing the current champions. In the big stands on the day of the finals was not only our school, but all the third years. They looked like they had found any sort of Aoba Jousai merch they could find and put it all on at once. Makki and Mattsun had brought a confetti cannon by the looks of it.

We were ready to go. With the libero of Karasuno looking stronger that ever, our new members were feeling a little intimidated. But, looking next to me, I could see that our veterans were excited for their rematch.

The game was tense. The crowds didn't have the energy to cheer, only to lean forwards with anticipation. Every time a point was scored on one side, the other followed. At the fifth and final set, things we're getting tense.

The points were in the thirties. Mistakes became a death sentence. I, personally, couldn't lose. I had something to fight for. A victory with the most important purpose.

Kentaro's turn to serve. He hit one service ace, making the scores even, then another. The last one was up in the air. Kunimi set it before I could, leaving me to run, jump, and score!

I'd done it! I had scored the winning point. More importantly, we had made it to Nationals. I looked up into the stands to see the third years chewing and crying. Iwaizumi and Oikawa kissed, their hands, now decorated with rings, entwined.

And now, for what I have been planning. I signaled to Oikawa once Kentaro's back was turned. He tossed down a bouquet. Makki walked behind me and delivered a velvet box before scuttling back upstairs. He laughed a little.

I checked the box an sure enough, the ring was hidden under the casing and replaced with a ring pop. I switched them out before beginning.

"Kentaro?"

"Yeah, what sweet-" He stopped dead in his tracks.

"Kentaro, you make me so, so happy l. You have no idea. Even now, when it's hard for us to see each other, you make life worth it. We've not had it easy, being together this last year. But I hope you want to stay connected for as long as I do. I hope the tattoo on your arm reminds you of me when we're apart as mine does of you. I hope I can keep making your eyes light up like mine do every time we're together. I hope I can wake up next to you ever day of my life. So, Kentaro, would you do the me the honor of becoming my husband?"