Chapter 6

Kyotani's POV (a/n: This is going to kind of be his perspective of all the other chapters + some extra stuff. Hope you like it!)

I've never been good with people. The moment that I get close to them, they leave. So I just stopped trying. I joined volleyball because there, my skill has always made it so that people can't get mad at me for not knowing how to interact. Until now.

Of course, I went to Aoba Josai, the one school where social connection is the most important part of being on a team. I was going to stand in the back, get to know how these people work, and leave, like always. But then I saw him. Their future captain. He was different from the others. Shy and understanding, based on how he interacted with everyone else. If I picked anyone to get close to, he was my best bet. I stood in the middle of the small crowd of people leaving when I heard his nickname, Cream-Puff Chan. Dumb. Let's use that.

"What kind of nickname is Cream-puff chan? What is the man to you, a five-year-old?"

Pathetic, really. The supposed captain couldn't even defend himself. I guess he didn't need to, he has his beast of a soulmate? At least I'm pretty sure that's his soulmate. Whoever he is, I like him. Seems like a good rival. I should introduce myself and show off my spike, I mean, I'm here to play anyways. And, that Cream-puff's a setter. Perfect. I think with my best attempt at a smile. It always turns out as a smirk rather than a smile. 

"Kyotani Kentaro, year two, position: wing spiker. I'm here to try out for the volleyball team. You, Cream-puff, can you set for me? I like it high and close to the net."

I run parallel to the net. This is one of my favorite spikes. It needs a whole bunch of power, and my hand tingles after hitting the ball. I jump, and "Slap!". That spike was exactly where I wanted it. That Cream-puff sure is good at what he does. Should I try to compliment him? That's what people do when they want to seem nice, right? Shit! When did we start wanting him to see us as nice?

"Your set wasn't mediocre, Cream-puff."

That's the best we have? Oh well, it's better than nothing. Five minutes later, and I've already got my own nickname. Kyoken-chan huh. I don't mind it. But they can't know that I'm getting attached. That's not good. 

The bell rings, and Cream-puff rushes to his bag and grabs gauge, handing it to two first years. Why does he have some gauge in his bag? He's hiding something. Maybe? Probably not, it just seems suspicious. He doesn't seem like the kind with secrets. 

The day drifts by very slowly. I see him in my second period, but after going to whatever class he has after, I didn't see him for the rest of the day. Even lunch. It worried me for some reason, so I followed the path he went down to go to that class to find the art wing. Art? I mean he seems the type, but that's what he's been doing this whole time? I guess we'll just look and see.

I find the second year art room and there he was, easel placed at the corner closest to the door. I guess that's his favorite spot too, huh. The teacher was still there. 

"Excuse me, sir. Has he been here all day?"

"Hmm. Yahaba, yes. Ever science he came into my class third hour. He's been in this sort of daydreamy-trance thing. Nobody could get him to stop painting when his class was over, so we've just left him. Do you know him?"

"Uh yeah. He's on my volleyball team. Can I go try to wake him up?"

"Yeah sure."

I walked over to see the painting. A pack of wolves. Weird. I guess I should try to wake him up. Don't be rude, don't be rude. He seems nice, don't mess it up Kyotani.