Chapter 3

Well, great. Just great. Now I'm stuck with him right when I start doing work too. Whoever's trying to make a joke out of my life, can you stop? Oh well, maybe we can just use this as an opportunity to get to know him better. That sounds worthwhile, right?

I sit in the seat closest to the door, like every class. I like it because it's the closest to escaping the room if I need to. Aren't you supposed to be optimistic? Well, yeah, but I like having options. Don't judge me. Voice in my head, you suck, making me doubt my choices. Today, really? We already have enough on our plate.

The teacher is just about to start the lesson when I hear someone sit in the chair next to me. Well, that makes everything even better, I say, sarcastically, to the annoying voice in my head that probably doesn't even feel like listening. Please don't be him, please don't be him.

I turn and look to see a tall guy with a blond buzzcut. The buzzcut had two black stripes in it, near the bottom of his head. Yep. It was him alright. Where did all the positive energy I had this morning go? I preferred that Yahaba to the one that panics every time something happens today. Well, to be fair, we didn't expect to meet out soulmate today, or any of the stuff that follows.

"Cream-puff. Stop staring Cream-puff!" Kyotani spoke quietly and calmly, but the rage in his eyes made the calm tone terrifying.

"Umm... sorry... uh. I get lost in thought easily and, uh... yeah!"

"Well can you get lost in thought somewhere else, we're getting looks."

"Oh sorry..."

"Well, it's bound to happen with you looking at me like a lovesick puppy."

"Did my face really look like that?"

"You looked dumb. Now stop daydreaming and get your work done, I don't want the teacher to come over here."

"Too late. I'll cover for you, don't worry. "

"Excuse me, is there a problem here?" The teacher said in a snooty voice. You know the one.

"Not at all, Miss. Kyotani and I were just debating the answer for number three. He thinks that It was 1763, but I think that with modern calendars it would be 1764."

"Well, alright then, but he's right, it's 1763. You're off by a month"

"Oh. Well, thanks, Miss. Sorry for disrupting your lesson."

The teacher walked away and I smiled, happy I was able to see the board right before she came over.

"How'd you catch that? I thought you were daydreaming, Cream-puff."

"I was."

The bell rang. We left the room and silently went our separate ways. I just realized something, I wasn't stuttering when I talked to him! He seems alright, I guess. I just hope that he's willing to work with people on the volleyball court. Iwaizumi won't take his crap, but it might affect Oikawa. If that happens, the team will fall apart. He is the heart of the team after all, and even if we can play well without him, it wouldn't be the same. Oh, shoot! I'm doing it again. Oikawa really is rubbing off on me with his strange personality.

I run to my next class, art. For some reason, painting has always reminded me of volleyball. Well, our team at least. On its own, each color or player is amazing in its own way. But, when you combine them all in just the right way, it creates something even more beautiful.

Hopefully, I can bring the best out of my team as Oikawa does. It would be a real shame for all the potential I've seen in the first and second years to go to waste. I should probably start painting now. Today's theme is dreams becoming reality. Strangely difficult for a first-day assignment, but I can work with it.

As I paint, I think of my team. What I want them to become. The beauty I see in a well-formed team. The absolute trust bond of the past team. My role as the next captain and setter. My future ace. It'll probably be Kyotani. Now those thoughts start to take over. Will we be as close as Oikawa and Iwaizumi? Will he shine just as bright? Can I make him shine as bright? I look at my painting and gasp at the creation I had made.

It was a pack of wolves, sitting on top of a mountain. The mountain they were sitting on had several rock ledges. The tallest one had the largest wolves, I believe I made them the leaders? Their tails were entwined and they were staring proudly down at the land and the rest of the pack. There was a black wolf with short rigid hair and angry eyes, who seemed peaceful at the moment. The other, a slender semi-white wolf who's body language showed contentment. Next, there was a pair chasing each other around the ledges. They did not seem to care about the ledges or where anyone was on them. One's coat was a lighter red color, the other's a hazy dark grey-brown. There were several grey wolves sitting near the playful pair at the bottom ledge. They didn't seem to stand out much, but they were still important to the pack, they did get a ledge to sit on after all. Above the grey wolves were two black ones, They looked as if the place was unfamiliar to them, but fit into their place on the mountain nicely. Finally, were the center pair, on the second-to-top ledge. They seemed to be the highlight of the painting. Their tails were entwined just like the leader wolves. One was a pure white, and unlike the rest of the pack, it looked upwards, to the top-most wolves. There was a slight longing in its eyes as if it wanted to learn how to be as great as the leaders. The final wolf was a strange yellow color. It glared as it was tucked into the side of the white wold, wanting affection from this particular wolf while threatening all of the others. It was missing something though.

I looked at it for a moment before adding two dark brown stripes to the sides of its coat. It seemed to make the painting complete. I sighed happily and looked at the time. 3:00 PM. What?! I had missed all of my other classes and lunch! I am going to fail my classes. And on the first day! Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no! I looked around for my teacher. I saw him, sitting at his desk.

Walking quickly over, I stood by the desk and asked, "Sir, why did you not let me know that class was over?"

"I did Yahaba, you just didn't respond. Every one of the students in the class tried to get you out of your trance, but they couldn't. So, I just let you be. The other teachers think that you asked me for private counseling which is why there are no other students in the room. There haven't been any all day apart from your class. Yes, they kept quiet about the whole thing. I asked a student from your volleyball team to get your work for you. Kyotani, I think his name was? Anyways, let's see what you did with all of that time."

Great. I have to rely on Kyotani to save my grades. How is it still the first day of school? I swear I have spent a lifetime existing for the past couple of hours. Well, time to show my art teacher the weird symbolism thing that I created while daydreaming.

"This is definitely unusual, even for you Yahaba. Tell me, what does this mean to you?"

"Honestly Sir, I don't know. I was thinking about all the things I want to do with the volleyball club. I thought about how great a captain Oikawa is and how strong a vice-captain Iwaizumi is. I also thought about the competitions I want to win with them, my responsibility as their future captain, etc."

"Wouldn't that make you the center wolf, that white one? He is looking up at the higher-ranked, wanting to be like them. Wouldn't you say that is your opinion on Oikawa and Iwaizumi?"

"I guess."

3:15. The bell rang for afternoon clubs to begin so I quickly thanked my professor for covering for me and ran to the gym. Time for volleyball, hopefully, it can save me.

1528 Words

Sooo, Author's note time. I know I've made the first day last forever, but next chapter is the last one of the first day. There will be more timeslips and stuff later because I'm sure you don't want me to keep going on and on forever about every little insignificant detail of the story. But anyhoo, thanks for reading, it really means a lot. Comment on stuff you want to see in the story and I will try to make it work with the plot.

Thanks!!!

-Muse