Chapter 61 (Epilogue pt. 1)

The world changes as years go by. People come and go. Marks are made and torn apart. But, for some, there are bonds never to be broken.

That's what many assumed about the couple. Though they looked to be only in their thirties, it was clear they had lived through a lot together. But, their shared history is unknown to random pedestrians. 

Nobody knew where exactly they lived, but they run the pound just on the edge of town. The taller of the pair also makes art. The only place you can find it is the market that happens once a year and the best restaurant you in town, Kinari.

The shorter one appears not to have as much of an exciting life, but in reality he just keeps to himself. Whenever he's working with the animals, his eyes light up. And, there's always a new book on the front desk when he's there.

Rumors went around for a while that the shorter of the two used to be rich, but sold all of his nice things for a simple life. Whether they are true or actually just rumors hasn't been confirmed.

However, I'm certain that they're true. That man would have never been happy up at the top. No matter what people say, living in luxury is not worth what it's made out to be.

They both seem to be happy. Far happier than most, certainly. The new uniforms they made for pound workers had no sleeves, just so that they can show off their soulmate tattoos.

On the surface, they appear quite different. One's very cheerful and bubbly, the other usually responds with a variety of hums and one word answers. It's clear that they love each other more than anything though. It doesn't seem it, but the way they look at each other just screams adoration.

I'll go over to the pound all the time. Mostly because I like dogs, but also because the workers there are so interesting. They have these friends that come in from time to time. The three owners of Kinari are among them.

On top of that, these two people that run a LGBTQ+ charity. The place started out really small, bust somehow got a massive donation a few years back and went worldwide. It's run by a pair of soulmates; one's non-binary and the other has stated very loudly that he doesn't care about labels as long as they get to stay together. It's a really sweet story.

If I could afford to leave the foster home to talk to them I would. I'd love to see what kind of advice they could give me. But, the adults here don't like kids like me. I hate to admit it, but I need the place a little more than some acceptance right now. Maybe when they send me back in a couple weeks to the orphanage, then I can go visit.

Back to the couple though. They also know these famous people in the volleyball world. Argentina's setter Oikawa Tooru and one of Japan's personal trainers/physical therapist Iwaizumi Hajime. I don't know how they were able to meet people who made it that big, but I wish I could have done the same.

Occasionally, the wealthy business owners Kiyoko Hitoka and Shimizu visit to ask advice on their pet and chat. They often laugh together about a wedding, but I don't know what they mean. If only I could piece the snip it's together, it would make more sense.

Regardless, I've always wanted to ask the pair about themselves. They seem so like me.
They seem like they've had to suffer to exist too. But, every time I think I'm going to do it, I chicken out and ask to play with the dogs.

Not today though. I'm actually going to do it this time.

I enter the store and there's the shorter man. He's cleaning the table angrily. There must be a stain or something he can't get out. Maybe I shouldn't interrupt... Nope! I said I would ask and I'm going to.

"Excuses me, mister?"

"Huh? Oh... it's you. You come here a lot, kiddo." He says, a thin smile on his face. At least, I think it's a smile. Kinda hard to tell with this one.