Chapter 14

Yahaba's POV:

So, I told him. I told Kyotani that I'm his soulmate. And it actually went well. Obviously, we're not going to just start dating or anything, but it's nice that we both know now. If only we'd chosen a better time.

Losing the semi-finals took a big toll on everybody, the whole team's a bit messed up right now. As much as I'd like to say that Iwaizumi or Oikawa was able to stay strong and help everybody get through this right now, I'd be lying. They were hit the worst with the loss. Captain and Vice-captain for two years and they weren't able to get to nationals once. 

Speaking of Captain and Vice-captain, it's been decided that I'm the new captain and Kyotani is my Vice-captain. He was shocked too. I fact, I'm pretty sure I heard him ask Iwaizumi to pick someone else. I don't think he has any clue what he's doing, but it's fine. The third years are going to try to lead us for a little longer, just to help everybody as much as they can before they leave. It's going to be tough, but we have quite a while before they leave.

Now, we're all in an ice cream parlor, eating away our sadness. (Oikawa's idea, by the way). We basically took over the whole place, so nobody else decided to enter the shop. I mean, who would want to go somewhere that was filled with crying teenagers in volleyball uniforms? 

Kyotani was the least fussed out of all of us. Knowing him as much as I do at this point, I think it's just a habit not to show emotions. I know deep down, he still feels guilty for the loss. Funny how you can know that much about a person for a few conversations and spending a week with them. He was sitting next to me on a bench. 

I feel bad, but the worst part was that as a pinch server, I spent most of my time watching the game. I had to stand by as my team wasn't able to get to nationals, as my captain and vice-captain, the people I look up to, gave it their all and still failed. And nearly the whole time, I stood on the sidelines, watching. So yeah I cried because we lost, but mostly I cried because I couldn't help them, or at least lose by their sides. 

Across from us were Kindaic and Kunimi. I know that both of them are new to the team, but from the bits and pieces I've heard about their old team, this is the first time that they've gotten to be equal members on the court. Whether it was overly egotistic upperclassmen, or their past "King of the Court" Kageyama, they were always seen as second-best. But now that they had the chance to be equals, they failed. That must really be hitting them hard. I can sort of tell from Kindaichi's sobbing and Kunimi's quiet crying into Kindaichi's chest, but god, in their heads, I'm guessing they're ripping themselves apart. 

In front of us, I knew was the third years and Watari. I couldn't see much, but I had known them for long enough to guess how they were acting. Oikawa was probably sobbing. Well, I knew that much, I could hear him. But still, he's probably beating himself up over this. I'm guessing Iwaizumi is trying to comfort Oikawa while silently crying himself. That's the only way I've ever thought Iwaizumi would cry, but I'm not sure. The other three, Mattsun, Makki, and Watari, would probably be doing just a normal amount of crying while wolfing down ice cream. That's probably to avoid making their captain have any more reason to be sad. 

Overall, everyone's devastated. I mean, who can blame them? We're a powerhouse school that just got beaten by the greatest underdog in the history of underdogs. The world's definitely cheering out Karasuno's name right now. But us, we now sit in the dirt. The tables really seemed to have turned, because we've become the fallen champions. How twisted is that?

I curl myself into Kyotani. He's warm and safe feeling, and for some reason, that's all I need to calm down. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me closer. A couple of tears fall from his face onto my head. It's strange, seeing how much emotion he really has. It's a shame he had horrible parents, I would have loved to meet him sooner. My soulmate, Kyotani, the Mad Dog.