Chapter 34

Yahaba's POV:

I get shaken gently awake. I turn to see Kyoken looking at me. He's really excited, I guess. I don't know what the big deal is about hunting, but he seems to love it, so I'm just going to go along with it.

"Ughh, what time is it?" I grumbled.

"It's like 5:30, we have to get ready before we go hunt."

"Does it have to be this early?"

Kentaro looked at me, confused. "Well, yeah. Otherwise, people are awake and all the good stuff is gone."

"Well, whatever you say, babe."

I slowly get out of bed, where Kentaro pints to some camouflage clothes. "You'll need these. Sorry if they don't fit quite right. I'll be out back, getting the bows ready."

The what now? Don't people hunt with guns now? Whatever, I guess that's still really cool. But, I don't know how to use a bow... I kind of wanted to show off. But, it'll still be fun! Maybe? Probably? Brain, stop making me second-guess stuff, it's not like you are needed anyway.

I put on the camo clothes and surprisingly, they fit. Were they Kentaro's? Probably not, he's smaller than me. But who's then?

I go out back to see Kentaro stringing up two bows. Where did those come from? Surely, I would have noticed them if they were in the house, right? And here I was, thinking I knew the place I lived. Guess I was wrong.

"Good, they do fit. I was worried you were too tall for even Grandfather's stuff."

He lent his grandfather's stuff to me? Wow. I know how much he loves his grandfather, but I never expected him to just let me use his stuff... Why do I feel like I doubted Kentaro? That doesn't make sense... Anyway, I'll have to thank him.

He handed me a bow, "Here's the one you'll use," He also clipped a thing full of arrows onto my back. "And here's your quiver. Be careful not to be too loud when your walking with it. Might scare off the animals."

"Okay, got it."

He put on his own gear as well as a backpack and signaled for me to follow him. We crept through the forest, Kentaro moving around silently and me, being the clutz I am, attempting to keep quiet as I followed him.

It's different seeing Kentaro like this. For one thing, he's fast and silent, which totally doesn't reflect him at all. He flits around almost like a bird. His feet don't even make noise when they touch the ground, even if it's for just a few seconds. Secondly, he seems really peaceful, definitely not something you'd expect when someones attempting to kill. Yet, here he was, a content expression on his face.

He put his hand up, in a stop signal, "Over there," He whispered, pointing to a group of deer, "Do you want me to show you how to shoot?"

"Yeah, that'd be nice," I whispered back, embarrassed.

"Just watch me," He said, "So first, you knock the arrow. Make sure the different-colored arrow's facing you. Then, you pull back the string,... aim,... and release!" He instructed the arrow he was using to demonstrate soaring through the air and landing right in the eye of a deer. A few of its companions scattered, but some remained still, not noticing.

"Do you want to try?"

"Sure."

Kentaro stood behind me as I followed the steps, putting his own hands on top of mine. "Here, let me help."

He moved my arms and helped me aim and pull back the bow. When I released the arrow, it had embedded itself in a deer's leg. The rest of the oblivious deer scattered after this one was taken down.