Chapter 8: The Moment I Missed

A/N: Thanks for the support so far! If you like the fic, help spread the word ;) Comments and reviews are always appreciated, I like exchanging messages with you guys.

I don't own this story .

So far, everything was going according to plan.

With the whole kidnapper-slash-killer possibly out there in the world, Lisa knew that making sure that Chaeyoung was never alone would be the best way to keep her safe. It would never give them a chance to enact whatever they were planning. Once Chaeyoung was safe, Lisa knew she could start looking into the next victims.

With Sana, it would be a bit easy. She'd just need to make sure that she increases the time they spend together as friends.

It was Kim Jisoo that was the problem. Lisa hasn't heard much about her, other than finally figuring out which of the other two schools nearby she attended – apparently she was a new student the posh private academy in town, as she briefly heard from Baekhyun who's always on alert on people who tend to be loners. With Lisa not really knowing anyone there, it would be a bit harder to initiate contact with Jisoo.

But she could worry about that later.

Her main focus was Chaeyoung.

The week following their successful weekend together had been going smoothly. In the mornings, Lisa would stop at Chaeyoung's house along the way, sacrificing her usual sleeping patterns to make sure that nothing bad has happened to Chaeyoung, and she would walk her home after school too.

Well, technically after studying for long hours together at a café near the school before walking Chaeyoung home. Sometimes they'd go straight to Lisa's place and Lisa would walk her home after they have dinner together with Dr. Manoban. She wanted to minimize the amount of time the redhead spent stuck in their house in case her step-mom just snaps.

And if Lisa were being honest, that time spent together was also making her happy. She was getting to know Chaeyoung a whole lot better than the last time when she was just this person she had a crush on. More than that, Lisa felt a bit of pride for successfully making Chaeyoung smile again, laugh a bit. It was like the butterflies inside of her were constantly fluttering still, but they were undergoing some kind of metamorphosis as Lisa felt some kind of warmth spread through her from the inside out just by spending time with Chaeyoung.

Of course, along with the good came the annoying in the form of Jennie's constant teasing, Sana's avid support – she really didn't need to loudly point out that they've been walking to school together while holding hands, something that had become more of a subconscious response to Lisa as soon as Chaeyoung stood next to her – and Sehun's constant curious looks mixed with his own ways of supporting Lisa.

Really, Dahyun was the only sane one in her group of friends.

Seungri seemed to have noticed the change the week had made too, giving Lisa subtle thumbs ups or nods whenever he sees Chaeyoung or just after class as they head out, undoubtedly having observed Chaeyoung's full week without absences or tardiness. That and the overall lack of bruises that still made Lisa smile.

Even Mr. Taeyang had acknowledged what she's been up to, sort of. "I'm happy you're helping in your own small ways Lisa, makes me more determined in getting action done on my end." he said as Lisa passed him down the hall just as her free period was about to end.

Suho too. Lisa ran into him on her way out the other day, waiting for Chaeyoung to get out of her class with Jennie. He saw him exiting Mr. Taeyang's office, sporting a black eye for some reason, his bag in hand, and the white overalls worn by the Byun's food service company rolled up and tucked in his arms. Lisa would have thought that all was missing was the company issued boots but then she noticed Suho had already been wearing them.

"What happened to you?" Lisa had asked him.

"Oh, someone in our team just said something about Chaeyoung and we got into a fight. I was admittedly being an idiot, but so was he." Suho had a given as a garbled reply. "Speaking of, you're really something, aren't you? You managed to actually come up with a reasonable plan to help her."

Lisa had simply shrugged in response. "Honestly, I couldn't come up with anything else so I thought of keeping it simple."

"Still Manoban, thank you. Knowing you're working on ways to help her makes me want to contribute somehow. We're all in this together, right?" he had given as a reply, making Lisa wonder what he meant by that.

But Lisa never had the chance to ask him much about it, what with Suho rushing out as noted the time. He didn't want to be late for work.

With everything having gone smoothly, Lisa couldn't help but feel nervous.

Before she knew it, 'X' Day had approached.

It started out similar to the past couple of days, except Lisa was feeling anxious so she decided to trek on over to Chaeyoung's as soon as she got up before they headed to the last of their make-up classes.

And by early, it was totally five thirty in the morning.

Lisa noticed the faint glow of light coming from the second floor window facing the front porch. The curtains were slightly drawn and Lisa could see someone moving from the inside. She started weighing her options on what to do next, not entirely sure if it was Chaeyoung's step-mom's room she was peering into or not when she saw Chaeyoung in her own pink PJs draw the curtains fully and open the window.

With a chuckle, Chaeyoung leaned on her window sill, "Lisa, do you know what time it is?" she said, trying to keep the volume of her voice low enough not to wake up her step-mom who was possibly still sleeping but loud enough for Lisa to hear.

Lisa simply shrugged and showed her thermos of hot chocolate. "Give me ten minutes." she then heard Chaeyoung say.

And ten minutes was indeed all it took. "I'm never going to get things done in time if you keep this up." she heard Chaeyoung mutter as the two of them took their time walking to the school, stopping at the nearby playground to enjoy the hot chocolate and the breakfast sandwiches Lisa prepared.

The rest of the day went on faster than Lisa anticipated and soon she found herself with Chaeyoung at the science museum that afternoon. She extended the invite to all her friends, and Sana even look excited to join, when Sehun said they had a thing that would keep them all busy.

When Lisa pried, Dahyun just pointed out that Momo was throwing a party at her place that night.

So it was her party that Sehun dragged me off the last time, Lisa then thought to herself.

But as the afternoon went on, Lisa felt both excited and nauseous. She was enjoying Chaeyoung's company but something kept feeling off.

Why… why do I feel like I lived this day before? Lisa asked herself as she noticed she could predict some of Chaeyoung's actions, like which attraction she wanted to go next or when she went to the restroom for a few minutes.

Even some of the things that she said. "Didn't know the science museum was interesting for music lovers like you?" Chaeyoung had asked then and had asked Lisa the same thing just a few minutes ago.

She had given the same answer then, a mumbled response of "Technology and soundwaves."

And it scared Lisa as she recognized the uncanny similarity of events. It made her panic.

Because  it felt like she was reliving a memory.

But then Chaeyoung returned and did something Lisa wasn't able to predict. She knew which attraction they were going to next, but this time Chaeyoung held her hand.

And it hit Lisa that she was indeed reliving parts of a memory but on a wrong date.

Right, I went by myself a week early to the museum last time. I ran into Chaeyoung here back then, she had gone by herself too. I didn't have the courage then… none to even just say hello.

Lisa wasn't quite sure what to feel with that realization. Why do I feel like I'm still stuck in the same loop?

Is it Because  the day's not done yet?

Is it Because  Chaeyoung's still in danger?

Lisa took a deep breath to calm herself then, standing next to Chaeyoung in front an exhibit on evolution. I'll feel better when this day is over.

If we can make it then, I know I'd have been able to change something.

"Hey guys!" she then heard Sehun say as he, Jennie, Dahyun, and Sana appeared from behind them. "Sorry for intruding but we ended up having free time in the end."

"Yeah, the party was lame so we decided to bounce." Jennie then said.

"Wait, isn't this place supposed to close in like a few minutes?" Sana then pointed out.

"We should probably grab dinner somewhere then." Dahyun then proposed and Lisa was quick to jump at the plan.

A week later or not, the group dinner was most definitely something new that happened in this timeline, and Lisa was actively all for that, making new memories of things that haven't happened before.

She walked Chaeyoung home again, promising to swing by early so they could go around town before having dinner at Lisa's place for their shared birthday. Chaeyoung simply chuckled in response and agreed.

Lisa walked home deep in thought. The night wasn't over yet. Trepidation filled her heart as she went on her way, convincing herself that Chaeyoung wasn't at the playground where she last saw her.

That much has changed.

And if that was the place where she got abducted, then surely this was enough to ensure her safety.

"Lisa, late night stroll?" she heard Baekhyun say as she ran into him on the street.

"Oh, just dropped Chaeyoung home." Lisa answered absentmindedly. "You?"

Baekhyun shrugged. "Wanted to go on a stroll myself. Tryna' come up with a new magic trick." he replied. "I'm happy though, you're really become more outgoing, I'm kind of jealous. And you've been pulling Chaeyoung too, she seemed lonely the last few months. I'm glad."

Lisa nodded. "You take care, Baekhyun. Oh, and I'm having a small dinner party tomorrow night if you wanna join us?"

"I've got to help my dad with some work stuff. Thanks for the offer though." Baekhyun replied.

"Next time." Lisa then said as she said goodbye.

Around ten before midnight, Lisa felt her sleeplessness get the best of her. Not wanting to wait until sunrise, she snuck out of her room, grabbing her phone and coat with her as she stepped out and walked towards the direction of Chaeyoung's house. Using the few cars parked on the street for cover, Lisa watched as the time on her phone finally hit twelve before looking up to see the lights in Chaeyoung's room remain turned on, with her silhouette still moving around inside the slightly drawn curtains.

Lisa smiled to herself, feeling a sigh of relief.

I did it.