Chapter 19: Good Morning

A/N: Chaeyoung and the song 'You are the Reason' by Calum Scott as well as the chorus of 'Lullaby'

I don't own pitch this story.

It was a long day of work, tiring too.

But Chaeyoung still did her best to put a smile on her face as she made her way home.

She was always, patient, and kind to people she helped with her work as a physical therapist. But she figured it was something she needed to have lots of practice on Because  she was sure that Lisa was going to be one stubborn patient when she wakes up.

When not if.

Because  Chaeyoung strongly believed that Lisa will wake up again, one day, someday.

Chaeyoung had a promise to keep after all.

That they get to start again when she came back.

That they get a proper shot when the morning comes after the long night of their goodbye.

But see, Chaeyoung never left.

Not after what had happened.

It was like a dream sequence. A nightmare, truth be told. One moment she was worrying about where Lisa was, the next she watched as Dr. Manoban tried to pull himself together. And in a flurry of events, she found herself fighting for the right to go with him to the hospital she was kept, not knowing what to expect. She found herself calling her grandmother to tell her that something had happened to Lisa – who her grandmother had rather become fond of Because  of her efforts to help Chaeyoung. She found herself standing next to Dr. Manoban in shock and disbelief as the doctors first related what had happened, how Lisa was found, and what they had to do to save her life.

To hear that someone had attempted to kill her was enough to shake Chaeyoung to the core.

And to hear that Lisa had then been entered a comatose state was another thing to process on its own.

Somehow Chaeyoung managed. Somehow, she managed to convince herself to see the Brightside of things.

At least Lisa was alive.

At least there was still a chance to save her life.

At least she could still wake up.

Finally seeing her then though that was what had her undone.

Because  Chaeyoung wasn't prepared to see Lisa so lifeless before her.

She couldn't even step inside the room.

She had broken down right in front of the opened door as Dr. Manoban all but rushed inside completely at a loss.

Even when their friends came in the next day, she couldn't. Her grandmother had come as soon she could, helping Chaeyoung deal with how she felt then. That's when she met Jisoo too.

Jisoo who was completely at a loss.

Jisoo who couldn't do much but offer her ears to listen to Chaeyoung's heartache. To offer her shoulders for her tears.

To offer her both her arms to console her.

Chaeyoung thought the sun would finally shine.

She didn't realize that they had just entered the eye of the storm.

It was a slow progress to find a steady flow of things after that. The first few weeks of Lisa in the hospital, they were hopeful. They clung onto the faith that whoever did this to her would be found soon and that she would wake up the next morning.