Chapter 7: Catching Up

When Mariana was finished with her shift, she sat down in a cafe with Mona and a cup of hot chocolate. The steam created a barrier between them as Mona had a waffle with berries.

Mariana smiled and Mona mirrored her look. She felt bored and didn't want to go home just yet so here she was. But she held onto her cup tightly her eyes dipped down to Mona's sides, in case she had anything on her.

Mona looked up and a smile flicked across her lips briefly. Her voluminous, dark hair cascaded down her winged eyeliner that flew over her eyes, making her face look sharp and beautiful. She had on a green dress, which matched her enchanting eyes, making her look like a child of the earth.

"So," Mariana began as she swished her cup gently, "you're a pharmacist?"

"Yeah, I'm there almost everyday." Her face lightened gradually like the softness of her voice. Her mouth shaped into a smile as if she wasn't used to someone this interested in her.

"By the way, I hope I didn't scare you the last time we spoke. You seemed a bit uneasy and I just wanted to make sure everything was okay." Mona settled her hands down slowly in concern.

"Hm?" Mariana turned her head back to focus on her. She was busy checking out the area they were seated in, even though the other people were indulged into their own conversations.

"Are you alright? I hope I don't make you feel comfortable."

"I'm okay, it's nothing, I just have some... issues," she giggled nervously while her hands shook and tapped the table vigorously.

Mona raised an eyebrow and then glanced down at her convulsing fingers. Her eyes then jumped up to Mariana who drank her chocolate.

"Sure your okay?"

"Yeah." Mariana put the cup down and then straightened herself to look like a normal human. "Anyway, how are your kids doing?"

"They're good! Right now they are probably getting picked up by their nanny from kindergarten."

"Aw that's nice, I'm hoping for Elisa to go to preschool next year," Mariana said and wiped an imaginary tear from her eye, "my little bambina, I hope she'll have friends like your daughter."

"Yeah, Rina loves making new friends. In her class, she seems to be the favorite among the other children."

"Yeah. So you do go to that park often?" Mariana jerked her head to the window, as if the place she was referring to was just outside.

"Um sort of. Either we go there, or I take them for a little walk in the forest since I always loved nature and the outdoors. I used to live out in the countryside with my dad, so I try and get them out of the house every Sunday at least."

"Yeah same here." Mariana nodded in agreement. "I take mine to the park from time to time. Or they play at their grandma's place."

"Oh! I took mine camping once just for something different. But that time it was just the three of us out in the woods. I didn't feel that comfortable so I might go with someone else next time."

"Wow, you guys were in the middle of a forest by yourselves?" Mariana was surprised but mildly fascinated. "What was it scary and we're you with their dad?"

"Yeah it was quite scary so I'll just stick to the typical backyard, and I can't really be with him right now..." she mumbled as her body shrunk back. She hid part of her face so it seemed like half of it