Chapter 43: Good Hair Day Turn Bad

Mariana dug through her purse as she sat next to Leilani. They were inside a hair salon as a little treat, her getting a balayage while Leilani wanted highlights. She had been through quite an ordeal, so she felt like she needed a bit of "me time."

"You must be really happy chérie that you're going to get your kids back soon," Leilani said, her eyes turned to Mariana but her head kept forward.

"Oh, I am! This is the best news I've ever gotten," Mariana said as she found her mascara brush. "She's had my precious dumplings for too long now and I can't wait to get them back." She pulled out the brush and did her eyelashes as the hairdresser kept her head still on the seat.

"I was about to ask what the dumplings were but then realized you're talking about your kids."

"Yeah, my yummy little dumplings," Mariana said and went onto her lock screen. Her cheeks lifted highly at the cheerful faces of her little ones. Soon, she could kiss those lovely plush cheeks again. She wanted to have them bundled in her arms, safe and sound away from that wicked witch Electra and Mona.

She placed her phone down and sighed peacefully. This turmoil would be gone, and they could go back to their normal lives so for now, she could leave her hair in the stylist hand's and just relax until her style was done.

"It's a long time since I've been here," Mariana said, looking around the salon as she got clipped into sections. It was quite lively with some people in the waiting area and some getting their hair washed.

"Me too. It's nice having a day like this," Leilani smiled serenely as her hair got pampered and wrapped into foils.

"Yeah." Mariana smiled. Now unlocked her phone to look at her messages. She sent a selfie, lips pressed together like a duck, to Micah and he replied with 'I hope your hair turns out well.'

"Are you texting Micah money for the hair?" Leilani asked, having a peek over at Mariana's phone.

"No, he already gave it to me before coming here," she said and grabbed the dollars that were in her purse to make sure they were still there. She grinned at the money before releasing it.

"He loves it when I get my hair done because it's rare. Early in our marriage, when I was slowly improving myself, whenever I get my hair done we go to bed extra early." Mariana nodded and started giggling.

"So he can have a better look?" Leilani smirked widely.

"Yep, exactly that," Mariana chuckled and then popped some candy into her mouth. "Also if the style was worth me pestering him for money." She chuckled and almost choked on the candy.

"Aw, that's sweet," Leilani said and fiddled with her nails while smiling at them. "I remember when Miguel took to the salon to get my hair done and surprised me with a vacation afterward."

"Really? Was there any special occasion to it?" Mariana sat up as her hair getting tugged and felt the sweeping motions of the brush against her strands.

"Um no, we were going through a difficult point in our marriage which took a huge deal on me emotionally. So after I felt a bit better, then that's when we went away to have a break."

"Oh, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Are you better now?"

"Yeah of course," Leilani's voice perked up, "but sometimes I still think about that time," she mumbled the last part while her eyes glanced to the ground like her mind was somewhere else.

"That's good, I'm glad you guys are in a better place now." Mariana reached over and patted her best friend's shoulder.

"Thanks." Leilani slowly smiled up at her like that was the assurance she needed.