Chapter 28: Cheering Up

When it was Mariana's lunch break, she decided to sit on her own, away from everyone. Because of her past, she didn't bother making much friends with her colleagues, except exchanging a few pleasantries.

She had a sandwich in her hand and nibbled at the edges. Her appetite was weak, but then she experienced a flash of her kid's blood tearing their faces. Their cries and screams echoed within her ears, making her gasp and drop the sandwich. She felt bile rise up her throat and now she couldn't look at the sandwich the same way, otherwise she will throw up.

She slowly settled it down and cradled her head within her palms. Her bloodshed eyes stared at the cold blank table, like it was going to give her comfort. Her mind sent her down a whirlpool of 'what ifs?' Repeating again and again like winds of despair.

What if they couldn't find them? What if Mona is just playing games and decides to kill her kids? Whether or not they listen to her demands.

She bit down nervously on her other nails and her foot trembled with anger. She felt like a total failure of being unable to protect her kids. All was perfect but then this situation was like an unexpected wrench thrown at her plans. She was angry at herself, angry at Mona, and just angry at the world.

Just the sheer thought of Electra cackling over her babies made her fists bang against the table. She wanted it to break under the force like it was Electra's bones. But instead, it merely made her knuckles hurt.

She started massaging the reddening area while rumbling with unresolved fury. Her unwanted tears started tearing through like a needle, but because she was not at home, she had to suppress her feelings and breathe them away.

She bore her head up as she wildly sniffed her nose. Her eyes closed to hide her distress but then someone startled her.

"Hi Mariana," her co-worker Nina came with a kind smile. Her ginger hair was bound into a bun as she smiled with rosy lipstick.

"Oh hi," Mariana said. She tried sounding normal, but her voice cracked with her tensed up throat. Nina cocked her head to the side with worry and confusion.

"How are you? You seemed a bit down, so I wanted to see if you were okay."

Mariana shrugged. "Not that good. I've just had many things on my mind lately."

"Oh? Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, "or is that too much?"

"No it's okay, I don't mind. I need some company anyway..." Mariana said and scooted to make enough room. She and Nina sometimes had small talks together, so she was on of the few people she felt comfortable with.

Nina sat down and got out her lunch. "So, what's been on your mind?"

"Well, a few weeks ago my kids got kidnapped by someone I considered my friend," Mariana explained. A stifled laugh crackled out of her as she swayed her head in disbelief. She still couldn't believe she was experiencing something like that.

"Oh dang, sorry about that. That sounds horrible. I hope you get them back soon," Nina said and shoved a spoon of rice into her mouth.

"Thanks, it's just been really disheartening. I just hope I get them back soon, or I'll never forgive myself..."

"It's okay Mariana. I'm sure you will get them back and this will all be over soon." Nina gave her a reassuringly rub on the back, putting a smile on Mariana's face like a purring cat.

"Thanks, I try thinking like that to keep my hopes positive," Mariana said, "but sometimes I find it hard, and I'm just prone to thinking the worst."

"I get that. I'm not a mother myself, but I can imagine it feeling like that at times," Nina said, "but try and keep your head up and think of how wonderful it will be to see your kids again."