Chapter 19: Deceived

If it wasn't for Micah standing behind her, Mariana would've fainted to the floor. She felt her body run cold as she looked at the ice cream truck again, but her baby was nowhere to be seen.

"She took my children..." Mariana mumbled with a blank stare towards the ground. She barely blinked as her legs froze with numbness. Her world went hazy and it was as if she was floating in empty space. Like she was pulled out of reality and plunged into her deepest nightmare.

"I can't believe it myself," Leilani muttered.

"I wonder how because she was always with us," Micah said and helped Mariana stand up. "I didn't think she would turn around and betray us like that."

"Yeah..." Mariana sniffed and gripped Micah's shirt so she wouldn't fall. She slowly tried walking around, feeling disoriented as her eyes looked once more.

"What if... what if we never see them again..." her voice stuttered out of her trembling lips. She choked on her own saliva as her heart thumped with panic. She started feeling nausea creep up her throat as her mind raced when she first got separated from her mother.

"Last time this happened, I never got to see my mother again..." Mariana's voice got more lower and she clutched her necklace. She never wanted to recall the memory as it felt like a stab in the chest filled with relentless pain. But now it was too late, as she was terrified that her kids were destined to the same fate.

"She's going to kill my kids!" Mariana cried out as her mind resorted to the worst.

"No no, Mariana, don't think like that," Micah said as he held onto her. "I don't think she'll go that far."

"But where is she...?" Mariana said, looking around the bushes for any clues where Mona could've gone. But she couldn't find much and the place got even more crowded. Her body shook with irritation and wanted to push people out of the way.

"Where did she take them?" Mariana's anger blazed as she bared her fists in the air. She felt enraged at the betrayal, mostly because of how nice they had been to her. Her tears were burning to burst out, but she held them back so she can see properly.

"Hold on Mariana." Micah ran to her side and tried holding her to calm her down. "We'll find them soon, don't worry. We just need to figure out where she's gone." He caressed her hand which eased her mood a little.

She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and then exhaled.

"Alright, alright," Mariana said, and then started thinking while her eyes roamed around.

"Um, how about we check her room first?" she suggested.

"I think that's a good idea. It might give us an idea of where she went," Micah agreed.

Mariana wiped her leaking nose and swung her fist at air. She wanted to punch something to let out her frustration, but knew it was worthless.

"Let's go then." She sighed and let out a low growl of frustration. She stopped looking through the bushes like an animal and grabbed Micah's hand. They then all went back to the hotel rooms with the officer.

The hotel staff opened Mona's room for them, and they went to investigate.

Mariana wept silently as she had to go look through the drawers just to have a clue on where her children are. She still couldn't believe they were missing, and she had to find them like this.