Chapter 42: Fragments

Mariana crossed her legs in her sleep. They couldn't remain still as her mind thundered and struck her with a lightning blast, exploding out nightmares. She brutally kicked the sheets like she was running through a desolate forest.

Her feet pattered against the bristly and withered grass underneath. She raced like lightning and the ground whizzed behind her. The sound of gunshots flooded the air as well as the warning lights that flashed crimson columns under her feet.

It felt like her mind built an infinite maze and she was running endlessly through, making her head toss every swift direction she took. Each shot made her hair spring and her heart almost jump out of its cages, trying to escape the darkness of her world.

Suddenly everywhere became filled with bats flapping everywhere. They overspread the hazy sky, transforming the scene with their sharp wings and revealed two extremely long hands. They descended with their crinkling and shriveled knuckles, twizzling them for evil doings. Meanwhile, her body was immovable and glued to the ground.

Mariana mumbled in her sleep as her heart beat rapidly like it wanted to be pulled out. Her eyes squeezed with anxiety of what was to happen, and being unable to escape.

Giant tubes wound round her limbs and arms, trapping her down like she was in surgery. She pulled them up to break free but it was no use. Everything kept flashing before her eyes.

Xavier.

Forest.

Hands.

Bats.

Xavier.

Forest.

Hands.

Bats.

Mariana let out a huge gasp of air as she burst out awake. She clutched the sheets to her chest as it risen. She was back in her room with the light burning brightly above, letting her know she wasn't dreaming anymore.

It was just a dream; it was just a dream.

She sighed tiredly. She was getting extremely weary of this but soon she would sort it out, until that time, she just had to put up with it a little longer.

She then dipped below the covers where Micah was. He slept on his hand that was sandwiched between his head and pillow. She pressed herself against his chest and put one of his arms over her body, so he wrapped her up safely. She nestled into his embrace, and her wispy breaths were soft while hearing his heartbeat. She kissed his lips as the warm covers encased them like two butterflies waiting to bloom.

But suddenly, he stirred unexpectedly and started rubbing her back while placed little kisses on her forehead.

"It's okay, you're safe here," he whispered, "he can't hurt you anymore." He then embraced her tighter to let her know she wasn't alone, and he will keep her safe if he needed to.

Mariana smiled as her face was squished into his chest. Her arm came over his head as she hugged him. She wanted to feel him close as possible to know everything was safe.

The next morning, Mariana walked down the path towards her workplace. Her hair was tidied in a bun, with a couple of strands swirled together and fell down the side. Despite her nightmare this morning, she tried maintaining a optimistic attitude and bore her head up.

The wind came from the back and tickled, making her fear prickle within her and her heart started to accelerate. It howled aggressively like a wolf, and the whistling hiss sounded like the voices from her dream so she started speed-walking to escape it. The trees rustled as well as the bushes, which sent her sprinting through the parking lot.