Chapter 47: Heart to Heart

The sunny and hopeful colors of dawn filled the wakening sky as Mariana and Micah boarded the plane. Mason and the FBI agents followed them closely behind as they took their seats.

She sat down at the window seat with Micah next to her and Mason on the other side, and the agents seated behind them. She let out a breath of relief as everything went well this morning, and she now can relax as they were on the plane, ready to go to Budapest.

"This is it guys, we are going to get your kids back," Mason said and looked at the pair. "Are you ready?"

"Ready as well ever be," Micah said and clutched onto Mariana's hand. Mariana stroked him with her thumb as they exchanged smiles and nodded. They braced themselves as the plane started moving along the runaway.

Her view was of the early sun that rose into her patchy eyes. She rubbed them and her head laid leisurely to the side. This investigation was finally coming to success, and it was only a couple of hours before they would be reunited with their kids again.

She couldn't imagine how scared they must feel but soon their mom and dad will be able to hold them again, making sure they were perfectly safe. She smiled at the thought of giving them a nice warm bath, wrapping them in a heated towel, bandaging all their wounds with a kiss, and tucking them into bed.

"Hey, I'm just going to listen to music so tap me if you need anything," Mariana said to Micah and got her phone out. She plugged in her earphones and wore an eye mask. She relaxed since they had a long ride ahead.

Micah looked down at their hands still entwined. He pressed them to his lips and settled them down next to her. He noticed some of her curls dripping down her face so he tucked them behind her ear so they don't disturb her. He brushed some more curls to her back so she'll be more comfortable.

"I can see how much you really love her," Mason said suddenly and smiled warmly, but it startled Micah.

"Yeah I do," Micah said and smiled over at his sweet Mariana. He kissed her cheek and left her to rest.

"She's so sweet. I really regret all the sexual comments I made about her," Mason said and rubbed his neck in shame. "I feel sick just thinking about all I said." He suddenly couldn't look in the direction of his brother so stared at the ground instead.

"Good. You should be sorry," Micah said bluntly, stinging Mason with his harsh remark. He started ripping out some fluff that was stuck on his sweater. "Always provoking me with her. You just loved making me angry."

"I did find it funny at first and I thought it was just some harmless teasing, but now I understand why you were so protective of her around me," he mumbled awkwardly.

"Oh yeah, I remember that." Micah chuckled to himself. He remembered those times he never wanted Mariana alone with Mason, even if there was another family member nearby.

"Yeah..." Mason mumbled and sighed. He then took out a picture from his pocket.

"Do you remember this?" He showed Micah the picture which was of the two seated on a plane when they were little. Mason had leaned back and slept, while his arm draped over his brother, whose body flopped over his.

"I think so... who took it?" Micah asked and peered closely at it.

"I think Mom did. I found this under my bed as I was packing my stuff." Mason smiled at the picture and his eyes had a foggy look of distance like they had been pulled in the moment, wishing to go back.

"I really miss when we were kids, we used to do a lot of stuff together," Mason sadly admitted.

"I sometimes miss it. But then Aidan paid more attention to you than me so I don't miss it that much," Micah rumbled a bit. It prickled Mason's skin uncomfortably but he brushed the feeling off.