Chapter 36: Running Away

Mariana and Micah were called to the police station when Pamela's time was up and to present her findings. She was supposed to come at twelve and so far, it was five minutes past, but even one minute was too long.

Mariana tapped her fingers against the table. She kept glancing at the clock. Anxiety flooded her eyes with prickling tears. It's hands we're going slowly than ever before as they waited for Pamela to come and give them the news.

"I hope she didn't run away," Mason said, checking his watch. He saw the eyes of his brother and his wife shift from happiness to worry.

"Don't worry, she'll come," he reassured them as he didn't want to let them down. For once, he wanted do something good for his brother.

"She better," Micah mumbled with an angry glare while tapping on his phone.

"Mhm," Mariana said and put up a weak thumbs up. Her head felt heavy as a boulder as she kept flopping down Micah's shoulder. Her eyes watered like a river as she barely got any sleep last night and a ring of hotness surrounded them.

Mason tapped his knuckles with his overlapping fingers. "Sorry of all the stress this is causing you. I know dealing with a child kidnapped is hard but we'll be sure to find them as quick as possible."

He then glanced back towards where the men were talking. "I'll go see what's up," Mason said and got up and left them waiting.

Mariana yawned once again and licked her dry lips. She rose her head so that she can be focused, but her eyelids kept narrowing.

"Are you okay now?" Micah asked.

"Yep," she said and tried smiling, but she ended up looking high instead.

"My arms just hurt and I want to go back to bed." She exasperated like saying that used up all her breath. "But children come first!" Her finger shot up like she just had an epiphany.

Her moment of determination dissolved when Mason came back to them.

"So Mason, what did they say?" Micah asked.

"They put a tracker on her phone, and she's heading somewhere else away from here, so they are going to track her down and bring her back."

"Oh great," Mariana muttered angrily. She caressed her temples as they throbbed with pain. "Now I gotta ki—" she stopped herself since she remembered she was in a police station.

"I'm gonna get some information," she said innocently. She got up while mumbling, "how much longer is this going to go on? Feels like forever this is taking," she groaned.

"Don't worry, we will find her," Mason said.

They all left the police station and went on a chase for Pamela. The police kept her high on their radar as they followed the tracking dot. Mariana stared at the window. Everything went into a blur like time was rapidly running out. The sirens blasted in her ears made her more worried of the situation. She felt a beating inside of her, like a countdown before it was too late.

They drove for fifteen minutes until she faintly recognized the place they were in. She examined the area but nothing clicked to mind.

"Is that her?" Mason pointed to a woman walking on the sidewalk. She pulled up her hood and seemed to be speeding.

"Looks like it, let's see," One officer said and drove closer. They all peeked their heads out, but it was difficult to see since the woman had their head turned the other way.

"Come on, turn around..." an officer muttered.

Their suspicions were confirmed when the looked behind them and it Pamela.