Chapter 20: Following Breadcrumbs

Mariana twisted in her bed, her legs kicked and tangled with the bedsheets. She groaned with her eyes scrunching in her disrupted sleep.

She was hurled into a place of immense darkness, with only a glow of light beaming down from behind. Her face was hung low like a weeping willow, with a stream of tears raining down. She tried to look up with her shaky eyes, but she struggled because it felt like a heavy matter pressed and pushed her down.

"Help..." a woman called out from the shallow distance. Her distress echoed with pain and anger.

"Mom?" She tried to look around and when she did, her eyes peered toward the narrow light where her mother's voice was coming from. She tried crawling towards it, her body sliding across as her fingers burned to grip onto the wood underneath.

She continued advancing even though each time she grabbed the floor, it strained and made her knuckles flame red. At the same time, someone seized her legs and pulled her back.

"Help!"

"I'm coming Mamma." Mariana's words came out broken, as she clenched her teeth. Her temples creased as her sweat trickled down her face. Her hair was like loose spaghetti as it drizzled all around.

When she got close enough, the voice lightened up to a child's cry with aching tears.

"Mommy, help..."

Hearing this made Mariana move even faster against the forces that were trying to pull her back. All while the thick, blackening darkness was consuming her, and not an inch of light could be seen. It suffocated her sight and lungs like heated winds of humid weather.

"Mommy, help!"

"Mommy has got you!" Mariana finally made it and she tried to pull her kids up from the balcony. They dangled over the edge as a dark shadow threatened to engulf them.

"Take them away..." A sinister voice thundered, making a fierce gust of wind tear them away and lead them down into the abyss.

"No!" Mariana tried to hold on but failed as she was rapidly pulled backward Her clothes shattered into broken fragments, and a hospital gown swirled onto her body.

"No Mommy! Help!" Their voices cried out to her, but she couldn't reach them as she was tied back and thrown onto the floor.

Mariana screamed out loud as her bum landed with a thump. She groaned at the nightmare as the sheets cascaded down the side. Heavy pants escaped out of her as she clutched her beating heart. Her dilated pupils roamed around and she realized she was back in their hotel room.

"Oh..." she continued panting in relief and coughed a little. She wiped her brow, and her face was incredibly wet. She shivered in disgust and then punched the ground. It was firm and hurt her knuckles, but at least she knew she was actually back.

Micah woke up and saw her laying frightened on the floor. Her face was pallid as snow as she stared up at him like she witnessed something horrifying.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah —I— um just had a nightmare..." she mumbled and awkwardly rubbed her arm. Her cheeks grew pink as she picked herself up and walked towards the bed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He fixed up the sheets and invited her in with open arms. She allowed herself to be enveloped lovingly into his embrace. He stroked her hair and kissed her face to console her.

"What was your nightmare about?"

"I heard my mother calling out to me and then our children..." she explained as she clutched the neck of his shirt. She started sobbing again, and her tears dripped down the material.