Chapter 40: Letting it Out

After Mariana delivered in the papers, they said they were going to go over the passenger records from Orlando to find Mona's fake name. Mariana felt relieved to hear that and that she could relax for once.

To celebrate, she and Crystal drove around the town. She allowed Mariana to play some songs from her phone and sang along to the radio, happy as a clam. They placed the car off somewhere and got two ice creams in a cup while walking along the sidewalk. The sun was galloping through the clouds and dissolving a trail of light on their faces.

Mariana licked hers off the spoon with rosiness blushing through her cherry cheeks. It brought back the shine in her face, but there was still an heavy ache, weighing down her heart, in the background. She wasn't able to share this treat with her kids, and that's what made her sad. But what maintained her mood was that soon they will find out where Mona traveled to, and when that happens, they would find their kids.

"So what's been troubling you Mariana? Is it about your kids?" Crystal asked.

"Well lately, I've been feeling so stressed out," Mariana started off and slowed the pace of her eating. "I haven't been getting the best of sleep because I'm frightened I'll see Xavier in my dreams. It's caused me to just stop sleeping, and it's really affecting me mentally," she explained with sadness withering her tone, dying it out. Her head tilted toward the ground with a sad grin.

"Oh no..." Crystal said, "how comes you have been having nightmares of Xavier?" She asked with concern laced in her voice.

"I think its because what has happened brings back unpleasant memories, just with different people." Mariana sighed. This situation was a like painful echo to a suppressed memory. Except this time, it's an ex-friend who was close to Xavier, which still creeped her out and made it extremely closer to home.

"Oh... was the way you lost your mother similar?"

"Mhm." Mariana nodded and within her eyes was a forlorn gaze into the ground. "I just wished she was still here you know. Like this whole case with my children is bothering me and I can't even turn to my own mother about it because she's dead."

"I get that feeling because there is nobody is like your own mother. But if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

"I really do appreciate that. Thank you so much." Mariana smiled serenely and hugged her. She knew she could go to Crystal for any advice she needed. Especially with her first pregnancy when the reality really hit her. That she didn't have her mother by her side. But thankfully Crystal often came over to see how she was doing, and assisted in any way she could. So she didn't feel so alone.

"I'm always happy to help in any way I can," Crystal smiled as they continued walking. They passed two men who were sat down drinking their coffee. The pungent odor floated into their noses. Mariana smiled, but it had a shimmer of gloom. Even thought the day was bright, it was like she was seeing the world through a cloudy lens.

"Mariana," Crystal said.

"Yes?"

"If your nightmares with Xavier are becoming really bothersome, how about getting some professional help to make peace with your past?"

"Honestly, I am gonna do that. After I get kids back then, I'll go," she said firmly. She felt a gleam of proudness knowing she was going to do that after this whole thing dies down.

"I think it's a good idea," Crystal said and started brushing her hair back gently. "Because I don't want this to make you sick Mariana. You're really special and you don't deserve to suffer like this." She lifted up her chin to speak directly to her, making sure she got all her words.