Chapter 18: Crisis

While Mariana and Micah slept soundly in their hotel room, the transparent curtains whistled and blew briskly in the wind that came through. The tree branches caressed the window, like a ghostly touch as the moonlight seeped in, just like the cloaked person that crept in.

The night remained peaceful and undisturbed, until this figure that was concealed within the shadows and tiptoed over to the beds. Their mysterious face was concealed by the cover of the darkness.

They stood over the bed, their glaring eyes stared down like a menacing monster. Their scrawny hands grabbed Elisa first and silenced her muffled cry with chloroform, and rammed her into a bag like he was a useless teddy bear.

They were about to snatch Axel when a cold breeze entered in and blew over Mariana's body, making her quiver at the increased coldness. She turned in her sleep, alarming the figure, and they tried making their way back to the window. But ended up tripping on toys that laid on the floor. Their face landed with a thump, which made Mariana's eyes tingle open.

They stared down at the blurry floor as the figure slowly tried to make their way to the window by crawling.

"Help..." Elisa muffled out but the figure pelted her to shut up. They stopped merely at the window and kept thumping their fist to get them to be quiet, but Elisa kept crying out help with tears and drops of blood streaming down which fully arose Mariana.

She sat up and her voice blew up  at the sight. "What are you doing with my baby!"

The figure then froze and quickly made their escape by jumping out the window. Mariana leapt out of bed and without thinking, she dashed out the window and looked down to where the figure landed on the ground and started to run off.

Mariana climbed down the balconies and hung on to the edge. Since there was a reasonable distance between each floor, she was able to go down and landed on the ground into the cushion of bushes. She didn't give herself time to regain her breath before she dashed off where she last saw them go.

She ran through the moon-lit path. The trees stared down at her with their skeletal arms, and the eye of the moon observed what was happening like a silent spectator. Mariana had the tail of the person in her sight and bolted down to get her baby back.

She strained her muscles and panted out as she was quickly loosing steam, but she was just a few seconds from catching the person, so she forced her legs to carry on running, as she screamed frantically after them.

But once she reached the parking lot, there was no one in sight around the lone cars.

She coughed and steadied herself on her knees. Her chest ached and it felt like her lungs were going to come out.

"Where —are— you—" she continued coughing as she called out into the empty darkness. "Where's—my—baby—?" She cried out until her throat was sore, and the tears begin to come.

"Give me back my baby!" She screamed and stumbled along, not giving up completely yet. Her tongue lolled out like an exhausted puppy and her legs shook with each step she took. Her head was whirling as she called out into the night, hoping to find at least something.

But nothing, she saw nothing within the narrow cracks between the cars. With her head rapidly darting in all directions, it felt like she had lost the trail of the time.

Her breaths were sharp in her chest. Her head felt light and dizzy as a feather, like if she was close to fainting,

But she wasn't going to give up so soon, and panted while doing one last search. She investigated every last corner, under the cars, and behind the trees, but it seemed like the person just vanished into thin air.