Chapter 48: On The Hunt

When they left the airport, they rented a car and the first hotel they went was the one closest to their spot. The air was young and bright, with the sun sprinkling down on the skeletal trees. Mariana winded down the window and felt the fresh cool breeze. She smiled as she felt her joy rising that she would soon be able to enjoy this with their kids.

"I hope it doesn't take us too long to find the place that are our kids are at," Micah said, leaning next to her head.

"Same." She smiled and pecked his cheek. His arm was just next to her, so she rested her head like it was a pillow. Their eyes peered over the small hedge that gated the premise. They saw Mason walking in with the agents behind. There were two other buildings attached to it with the height gradually descending, and the light settling on the pastel setting.

Mariana got out some peanuts and stuffed them into her mouth as they waited for them to come out, hopefully with their kids. Her nails pattered against the window and she laid her hand flat. She imagined her precious children putting their tiny hands on the other side.

But their hopes were crushed when Mason and the FBI returned with no kid by their side.

"We showed them the picture and the names but they weren't in their system," one of the agents said.

"So they are not there then." Micah sighed as Mariana's head drooped in disappointment.

"No but don't worry, we still have four more to check," Mason said, crossing off one, "I'm sure they will be in one of them." He turned back and gave them a reassuring smile, but his lips started shaking from worry.

They drove along the street where the vegetation became more scarce and barren along the sidewalk. It was like it had been eroded away by the harsh weathers like a riverbank.

They stopped in front of the next hotel which was called Hotel Ferihegy. It was smaller than the last and rundown. Its bleak eyes stared back at them blankly with their concealed curtains.

"This looks like some place a criminal like Mona would be," Mariana muttered with disgust. She rolled her eyes as she imagined Mona and Electra rotting somewhere in garbage like sewer rats, while her poor babies suffered in the background.

"Don't worry, we'll find her," Mason said and got out with the agents. Mariana and Micah's eyes locked onto their backs as they watched them enter the building that seemed unwelcoming with the silence that wavered around it.

"That does not look like a hotel. It looks like some abandoned house," Micah said.

"Heh, yeah it does." Mariana chuckled a bit. She flattened her face on the door and yawned. "I just hope we find the hotel they are staying in soon. I'm so tired of waiting all the time."

"Me too. It's taken us long to get here, so I hope it doesn't take long to get them back." He looked out the window and hovered over her head.

Mariana sighed in frustration and flopped onto his chest. She patted her head as her patience was quickly diminishing. Every biting, waiting moment was eating at her and her legs twitched impatiently. It only got worse when Mason and the agents came out with no kid beside them.

"They are not there either." Mason sighed as he got inside the car. He ticked it off the list and stuffed it back into his pocket.

"Urgh, where are they!" Mariana exclaimed.

"We still got three more to do. So there's this still hope," Mason said.

"I really want them to be found." Mariana sulked and leaned on Micah's shoulder. Their heads dropped together like withered flowers. Mason peered at them through the mirror and felt pity. He hoped their kids were in the next hotels they were going to go to.