Chapter 25: How it All Began

The kids were huddled into a corner as Electra walked past and hissed at them like an intimidating cat. They hunched back in fright as they watched her cackle. She faked throwing a knife to watch their frightened little faces tremble.

She then walked over to where Mona was sat sharing a cheese doughnut with Raidan. She was as still as a statue but felt content.

"Hey Mona, can I ask you a question?" Electra chirped up cheerfully like a good little servant.

"What?" Mona asked with a frown that showed she didn't want to be interrupted.

"I was just wondering how you knew Xavier since you sound extremely upset while talking on the phone."

"Why are you asking me this?" Mona replied again, "we're you not listening to what I was saying on the phone? How can I not be upset?"

"I don't know, but it seems like it still affects you even though it only happened ages ago," Electra said in her high-pitched, chirpy voice.

"What's your point?" Mona said, slowly setting her food down. Raidan seized the chance and hastily ate hers as the sour cream dripped down his fingers.

"My point is why you still getting so worked up since it's not really that relevant," Electra said and took a doughnut while cautiously looking at her.

"Electra," Mona began. She gradually unfolded her legs and placed them down on the floor as she tilted her head in confusion. "Have you never been in love before?"

"We'll sort of, but I can't imagine it being this intense."

Mona sighed and then cranked her head around. She stroked her hair back as it cascaded over the chair. Her muscles felt tense as she let out a deep grumble and a deep sigh. She then bore her head back up when she was prepared to answer.

"Well, first of all, he helped pay for my dad's funeral and looked after me because I had no one after my father died," Mona explained with a hint of reluctance. She glared at Electra and clasped her hands together. "See, I was mostly trying to survive and earn money while still doing my studies."

"Oh, well, that's too bad." Electra shrugged it off and pressed out her lips like a vicious duck.

"But didn't you have anyone to spend time with?"

"Does it sound like I did?" Mona said in a sarcastic tone, making Electra shrug.

"Well, I was sharing an apartment with someone..." Mona massaged the back of her bead awkwardly. "But other than that, no. I am a bit socially awkward. Most likely because I barely made any friends when I was a kid. I either played with my neighbor or just stayed in the house."

"Yeah, I could tell you lack social skills," Electra smirked.

Mona glared at her but wasn't bothered at getting up, so she took a massive bite out of another doughnut. "The main reason why I'm so attached to Xavier is filled a hole in my heart that my father left," she huffed out heavily.

"I don't know whether that's more sweet or sad that now they are both dead," Electra continued snickering but concealed her mouth, so Mona wouldn't notice.

She huffed and turned over in her chair to face the window. Raidan jumped off her lap and went to play with his sisters.

Meanwhile, Mona gazed out the window. She watched the clouds turn slowly over the azure skies, changing into the memories of yesterday.

Her hands shakily carried the tray over to her customer. She squeezed through the tables while people were chatting loudly and music played, distorting her senses. However, all of these irritated her ears as she unexpectedly bumped into someone.