054. 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚

4x22 The Walking Dead

Kalani puts her phone in her pocket as she sighs. "Why are we here?" She asks removes a piece of gum out of her other pocket. "To buy books dipshit," Damon says as she pops gum in her mouth. "You're gonna buy yourself books with my money?" She asks as they walk into the book store.

"See, you're smarter than you think," he says as he walks around causing her to follow. "Can't you just put me back in the cellar?" She asks as he faces her with two of the same books. The Cruel Prince. "Cause this is fun," he says. "One for me and one for you," He adds. "Okay," she says taking it from him.

The two spend a while longer buying a few more books the two go sit on the grass in the cemetery. "What are you gonna read first?" He asks as she removes a graphic novel from her bag. "Teen Titans: Beast Boy," she says as he removes The Cruel Prince from his bag.

She takes a sip of her coffee they bought on the way as she starts reading."I have a question," she says as she puts her coffee down. "Fire away," Damon says looking up from his book. "Did I do something?" She asks closing her book and holding her finger by the page.

"What?" He questions. "When I was little? Did I do something wrong to make you ruin my life?" She asks sitting up straight. "It just makes no sense. You were my friend," she adds.

"I didn't do it because of you," he says as she nods. "Than why? What did my parents do? What did Alex do?" Kalani questions. "You know I was compelled to kill Alex," he explains. "Who compelled you to kill my parents?" She asks.

"Wow you really like to ask questions," he says as she nods. "But you didn't do anything," he adds. "Alright," she says opening her book again.

"I have a question," he says as she sighs before closing her book. "Speak or die I guess," she says crossing her legs.  "Did you mean what you said? Would you have chosen me?" He asks as she nods.

"You know, I've never been alone," she speaks up after a short silence. "I've always had someone with me. I had my parents then they died. I had my friends before I left and then I had Adelaide. The point of it is, I've never had time to think alone. And I realized in the week I was locked up that I forgive you. Of course, I forgive you. You're my family and I care about you so yes. I would've chosen you and a part of me will still choose you," she explains.

"You care?" He asks. "I turned on my humanity. I didn't want to say something because," she says before she's cut off by him hugging her. "I knew you'd do this," she says pushing him away. "Can we read in silence again?" She asks as he nods before moving away from her as she opens her book again.