C H A P T E R 4

— • —

Chapter 4

Lian Ren grabbed his Yun Sect sword from the jade table and put it back to its scabbard as he hung it to his silver waist belt. Even if the sword was not Lan Ren, which was his demonic sword back when he was the Frost Demon, the sword was quite credible, and he could use it to fight low-tier vicious ghosts.

( in case you don't know, Lan Ren means Blue Blade. I don't fucking know what the English translation of Lian Ren is, so just let it be hoHOHo 👁👄👁 )

"Lian Ren Shidi! Right here!" Xin Mei waved and pointed to the carriage where she was.

"Alright." Lian Ren smiled and nodded. He fixed the scabbard of the sword once more and started to walk forward in the carriage's direction.

Xin Mei lowered her gaze and poured him a cup of tea on the small table inside the carriage as she spoke. "The travel will be quite far because our Yun Sect is large. Unlike other Peaks and Sects of the cultivation world, we manage towns and protect them from evil so that they will be safe."

Lian Ren accepted the cup of tea that Xin Mei handed him and nodded his head as a sign of gratitude. "We don't have reinforcements? The vicious ghost might be dangerous," he asked while sipping his tea.

Xin Mei took a glance at the pleasing view of mountains outside the window of the carriage before answering, "The Yun Sect disciples were busy training for the incoming Rising Star Cultivation Battle, but the Elders gave me two emergency fireworks if ever the situation got serious."

Lian Ren scowled and rolled his eyes. They are just too lazy to go on a mission! What training? They didn't even keep Shizun's teaching to themselves, and they made an excuse that they were training?! Ridiculous. Either way, Lian Ren would prefer not to ask for reinforcements because revealing that he had a demonic core would be a very dangerous thing. Moving secretly with only a single companion is the best option, rather than having so many cultivators drag him down.

Xin Mei, who was appreciating the beautiful view outside the window, shifted her gaze to Lian Ren when she suddenly remembered something. "Lian Ren Shidi, you visited Shizun's Pavilion, right? How is Shizun? Is he fine?"

Lian Ren's index finger, which he was tapping nonstop while pondering, halted. He pursed his lips and had his brows slightly knitted before showing a smile with a nod of his head. "Shizun is fine. I gave him a piece of my ice attribute to stop his fever a bit, but now he can sleep soundly."

Xin Mei nodded and heaved a breath of relief before leaning on the side wall and resting his chin on his arms. "I'm so glad. Shizun always overworks because the Elders pressure him to do anything. I hope he will rest sometimes."

Lian Ren didn't answer and only sipped his tea. He saw his reflection in the clear liquid of the tea, and Shao Ling's pained face suddenly popped into his mind. He had seen that face before, but he can't remember when. He was filled with hatred and the desire to revenge, to the point that he eventually didn't care about what the others felt or what they were thinking, and that includes Shao Ling.

It doesn't matter if he was hurt, if he was happy, or if he was sad. All he wanted at that time was to kill everyone who mocked him back then, and he wanted to take revenge on Shao Ling the most. But after he killed all those Yun Sect disciples and nearly killed Shao Ling in his hands after he penetrated his demonic sword, Lan Ren, into Shao Ling's chest, he realized that everything was so easy. He never felt satisfied in the end, even if the dead bodies of the people he hated were piled all over the Yun Sect.