C H A P T E R 3 5

- • -

Chapter 35

Rustles of footsteps were heard as Shao Ling and Lian Ren walked deep through the forest. The night sky was supposed to be blue and black with twinkling stars around the bright moon, but inside the forest, the sky was green and black; no stars or bright moon were seen from the sky. The whole forest was very dark. Only the glowing green heart-shaped leaves were illuminating the pitch darkness of the forest, which at least gave it some light and made it look mysterious and spooky. There were also fireflies all over the forest, along with a loud cricket sound and the 'kwaking' sound of a crow. The branches of the trees were so thick and dark, and their leaves were very green and large, but the grass on the ground was very dry, to the point that it made a crunchy sound whenever Shao Ling and Lian Ren stepped on it.

Lian Ren, who was behind Shao Ling, wandered his eyes over the surroundings. He glanced left and right and pondered for a while until his thick brows knitted into a frown. "Shizun, this forest is very suspicious."

"I think so," Shao Ling replied, continuing to walk deep into the forest.

"There were supposed to be monsters lurking around us since we're trespassers here, but I don't sense any sinister energy around the forest. It was as if they were all gone," Lian Ren said in a low voice, speeding up a bit so that he could walk alongside Shao Ling.

Because of Lian Ren's sudden movement, as soon as he stopped beside Shao Ling, their shoulders brushed roughly, which made Shao Ling stumble a bit. Lian Ren immediately grabbed his arm and helped him maintain his balance. Shao Ling stood properly in a frown, glancing at Lian Ren, who was looking at him with a concerned expression. "Are you alright, Shizun?"

"Haa..." Shao Ling sighed and brushed Lian Ren's hand, which was still holding onto his arm. "Don't let your guard down now that we're inside this forest. You may never know when the monsters will appear. It's not the time to mess around, Lian Ren."

"But I was not messing." Lian Ren wasn't able to continue what he was saying when he noticed that Shao Ling was looking at him with a pissed expression. His brows were highly arched, and his lips were tightly pressed. Lian Ren then smiled at him and replied, "I understand, Shizun. I'm sorry."

"Mmn," Shao Ling responded, turning around with a swish of his sleeves and continuing to walk.

But when they were about to pass through a certain tree where the tree was surrounded by glowing heart-shaped leaves, the hole at the center of the tree seemed to light up, and it was followed by the voice of a child singing a song. The tone of the song seems joyful, but the lyrics are not pleasing to hear.

The tail is wagging, wagging, and wagging.♪

A lips then curved, mischievously smiling.♪

The nails then sharpened and it's time to start hunting.

A flesh, then bone, the blood, it's all showing.♪

Shao Ling grabbed his fan that was hanging on his waist belt while Lian Ren unsheathed his sword and wandered his eyes on the surroundings as they both continued to walk forward. The singing sound of the children echoed throughout the forest to the point that it felt like the children were singing right next to their ears. Any normal human who lacks a spiritual mentality will eventually go insane because of the sound and will decide to commit suicide in the end. Shao Ling took out a golden talisman from his spatial ring and touched it with the tips of his index and middle fingers. His spiritual qi flowed out and combined itself into the golden talisman, slowly molding a golden circular barrier around Lian Ren and him.