C H A P T E R 5

— • —

Chapter 5

"O-Oh...L-Lian Ren Shidi..."

Xin Mei forced a smile and glanced down at the firework handle on her hand before redirecting her gaze in Lian Ren's direction again. "I-I'm sorry...."

Lian Ren had arrived at her location in three minutes, to say she was doing fine, I guess. Lian Ren sighed and unsheathed his sword before he replied with a smile, "It's fine. What made you light up the fireworks?"

"The thing is..." Xin Mei lowered her gaze at the firework handler and threw it aside before continuing her words, "It's not me who was in trouble. There's a. There's a person inside there." She pointed to a cave with wild, long vines hanging from its large entrance.

Lian Ren slightly raised his eyes and raised his index finger. A faint glowing blue spiritual qi flowed out of his index finger and instantly froze after a while. The glowing blue light made of spiritual qi stayed on top of the tip of his index finger as he took a step forward and shoved the wild, long vines covering the large entrance of the cave. Xin Mei spoke behind him, "I went past the plains and I suddenly saw this peculiar forest. I don't know if this is a forest, but it's full of caves and pitfalls, so I used my qi to make myself float to not cause a commotion."

Lian Ren shifted his gaze at her and replied, "Until when have you been here?"

Xin Mei pondered for a while and answered, "I've been wandering in this forest for six minutes until I heard someone shout inside that cave. It sounded deep, so I assumed that it was a man."

"What happened?"

In a split second, Lian Ren's other hand went down his silver waist belt to unsheathe his sword, and Xin Mei grabbed her longbow from her back, shaped her purple spiritual qi into an arrow, and aimed in the person's direction who had just spoken. Lian Ren's alarmed expression slightly softened, and Xin Mei's expression, which was full of killing intent, glanced at the person as if she had done an unforgivable thing.

Xin Mei lowered her long bow, and the purple arrow made of her spiritual qi slowly faded as she spoke to greet the person, "S-Shizun."

Shao Ling arched his brows at her. "This is how you greet your Shizun?" he asked sarcastically as he crossed his hands from behind.

Xin Mei immediately panicked and aggressively shook her head as she answered, "N-No! No! This disciple apologizes to S-Shizun! The truth is... This place is very suspicious, so..."

Shao Ling's brows softened as he sighed. "It's fine. Being alarmed by things is a very good thing. How both of you immediately unsheathed your weapons instead of responding to the person is excellent," he said with a straight face.

He complimented us? Lian Ren stared at him with an expression of disbelief, and Xin Mei nodded as if she were used to it. "I understand, Shizun. This disciple will do better so that I can prove my worth at the Rising Star Cultivation Battle."

Xin Mei Shijie is reacting normally?! Shizun never complimented us, and even if he did, we would only think of it as a mocking way to do better. Shao Ling shifted his gaze to Lian Ren, who was staring at him with an astounded expression. Shao Ling frowned at him and spoke, "Is something wrong with how I look?" he asked with a puzzled face.

Lian Ren opened his mouth to reply but immediately closed it again because he couldn't find any words to say. After a while, he opened his mouth again to say anything that came to mind first: "Why are you here?"