altercation

Upon reaching the storage room behind the stage, Vincent handed Art a package wrapped in a black cloth and me a one wrapped in red. The items that the King purchased were being hauled to the carriage by some of the workers.

"Thank you." Art and I said at the same time.

"For everything you two and your family has done for us, this is hardly enough," Vincent replied. "Arthur, while we go get Ashtons swords he wanted, you can look at the ones in the back since you're here. They might not be anything special, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a solid sword to last you until your body finishes growing."

"Oh! Are you planning on taking lessons with the sword?" The King inquired, putting a hand on his son's shoulder. "My boy has just started learning as well. Maybe you three can spar one day."

"Swords are merely a hobby for me, Your Majesty. I would never hope to amount to the same level as your son," Art replied, turning back to redeem Vincent's offer.

"While my brother is very humble, which is something we do not share in common, I would love to spar with Prince Curtis."

"Your Majesty, Prince Curtis would only become infected with bad habits if he began sparring with mere commoners," Sebastian's hissy voice rang.

As I turned back to retort, my father and the Twin Horns came into view.

"Ah, you guys are here! How did you enjoy the Auction?" my father exclaimed, picking up Ellie after showing his respects to the King and Queen.

My father pulled Vincent aside as he and the Twin Horns began debriefing about the event.

"Your Majesty. If I may have a word with you," I heard Sebastian say as he leaned closely to the King's ear.

After a few moments, King Glayder shot his royal guard an irritated glance, but let out a sigh.

As the two walked towards Art, it was obvious what they had just discussed by the way Sebastian wasn't even looking at him, but instead, at Sylvie.

However, instead of talking to me, the King called upon my father.

The King smiled at him, but his eyes remained stern. "I never did catch your name. You must be this young boy's father, correct?" he affirmed rather than asked.

"My name is Reynolds Leywin and yes, that is the case. What might be the matter, Your Majesty?" my father replied, lowering himself slightly.

"Sebastian, here, has been a royal guard for a while now and has helped our family an uncountable amount of times."

His voice stayed relaxed as he spoke to my father, but the condescension in his tone was still apparent. "For the exemplary services he has provided me, and therefore the country, I do feel the need to reward him at times. You see; he has taken a fancy to your son's bond. I know it's not easy to sever a contract and I'm sure the boy has grown close to his little pet, but I would be more than willing to hire a mage to take care of the contract and compensate you and your family for the troubles."

"Y-Your Majesty," my father stuttered, caught by surprise by the severe request. Taking a glance at Art, he turned back to the King. "I must apologize, Your Majesty. Neither I nor my wife had anything to do to with either of our son's bonds. They have acquired it themself, so I cannot speak on either of their behalf on matters of their bonds."

"Hmm, you said either of their bonds does that mean the other one has a bond as well?" the King turned his attention to my direction, regarding me loftily,

Jen, come out. with this Jen leaped from my shadow and landed next to me, I never took my gaze away from the king.

"Boy. Didn't your father teach you to lower your gaze when speaking to someone of your superior?" Sebastian snarled in disdain as he slammed the end of his metal staff to the ground.