becoming adventurers

"You need to get out, you've been in there for an hour"

"Grr...'' Jen growls at me as I finally drain the wat

"Haa" I never thought I wouldn have to drag a supposed legendary beast out of the shower.

Wearing nothing but a simple red t-shirt and black pants, I took one last look at the room I had been living in for the past few months, imprinting the image. I put on my bracelet and ring on my right hand, putting on the body armor and my metal covered shoes, stuffing the mask along with a few other necessities into my bag. I strapped both my kanshou and bakuya to my waist before walking out.

"Trust in Jasmine when things get rough. She may be the youngest but don't doubt her strength and experience as an adventurer," my father advised as he pulled us into one last—firm—hug.

"Why are Brothers leaving? No! Stay here!" My sister was now struck with realization that we wouldn't be home for a while. She was clutching Art's waist and refused to let go as she used the weight of her body to anchor him down.

"Honey, your brothers will be back, okay?" My mother attempted to console her.

"Nonononono! Stay!" my sister demanded. She had refused to listen to excuses and began shouting with tear-filled eyes.

Kneeling down, I wrapped Ellie in my arms as I patted her back. "I know you're a big girl now. Can you protect Mom and Dad while were gone for a bit, Ellie?"

"UUuuuhicI can protect them" she replied in a muffled voice, burying her head into my shoulder.

Letting go of her, I studied my baby sister's face, wiping the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Atta girl. Your big brothers are going to be gone for a little bit but we'll be back. I feel a lot better that we have someone strong like my little sister here to protect the house."

"Yes!" she seconded eagerly, her eyes filled with a newfound determination.

Patting her head, I gave Mother and Father one last hug.

"We'll miss you. Don't forget to keep the ring on your finger, Art okay?" My mother squeezed me tightly.

"Stay safe and know your limits, Ashton, Arthur." Father placed a hand on my shoulder and stared at me, waiting for a response.

Know my limits, I repeated to myself, giving my father a firm nod.

After the partings were finished, I made my way down the front stairs to where Jasmine had been waiting.

I waved them one last goodbye, gesturing to my sister, who was waving both her hands as she bit her lips to keep from crying, to cheer up.

"Let's go, Jasmine," I declared while slipping the mask over my head.

She replied with a terse nod as we began heading downtown to the Adventurer's Guild Hall.

______________________________________

The Guild Hall was not what I had expected it to be. A vivid image of a place filled with thugs seated around wooden tables downing beer was what I envisioned. Instead, it was a building filled with prestige and luxury. A marble structure towered over us like a sacred museum. Once inside, it was clear the amount of work that had been put into the intricately designed interior. There were tables made from metal where I could see other adventurers giving us a passing glance. The whole place had an ambience of extravagance that didn't suit me, much less some of the barbarian-looking adventurers here, but I simply continued my stride.

"Welcome! How may I help the three of you?" The female receptionist's rehearsed smile gleamed a pearly white.

Before I had the chance to reply, Jasmine slid a piece of parchment towards the woman.