T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Rose 🌹

We ventured out into the courtyard where one very eager little boy was waiting for us, holding a beautiful woven basket. 

"Milady Milady!" he jumped up and down excitedly when he spotted Wynter and I "I have got what you asked for!" 

Wynter grinned down at her half-brother "How'd you manage to get all this past your papa?" 

"I'm a big boy milady" Weylyn puffed out his chest "I have my ways." 

"Do you now?" Wynter ruffled his black curls, so unlike her silver locks "Why am I not surprised?"

"What do we have here?" I chimed in, looking down at the basket "Do I smell pie?" 

Weylyn turned towards me, eyes lighting up in innocent wonder. 

"You're the Princess" he said in awe "You're even prettier than what Mama described!" 

I let out a soft laugh "Am I?" 

He nodded his head vigorously "Mama said that you were pretty but than she also said Lady Wynter was pretty too and that turned out to be a disappointment." 

"Hey!" Wynter exclaimed in equal parts humor and outrage "I'll have you know that many think Lady Wynter is quite exquisite." 

Weylyn shook his head "The Princess is exquisite. You're just...eh." 

"Okay brat" Wynter narrowed her eyes "Did you manage to get everything set up?" 

"I was in the kitchen all night long, washing the dishes" Weylyn deflated "I haven't had a chance to set up yet." 

She tapped his cheek and took the basket from him "Why don't you set up the blanket and then get our other guest. I'll take care of the rest." 

He nodded and took off running. 

I smiled at his carefree attitude. 

Wynter's eyes followed him the whole way, until he disappeared from sight. 

"Wynter..." 

"Hmmm..." she turned to me, a question in her eyes. 

"What happens if he shifts" I said softly "What happens when one day, he turns into this big Wolf without knowing how he became that or how to change back?" 

"I worry about that every damn day of my life" she said, fear gripping her features "Mom doesn't talk about Weylyn's dad much but from what I've gathered, when she went on her Dust binges, he was a strong wolf that most likely had a Pack of his own. It's inevitable that Wey shifts into a Wolf...the only problem is at what age that shift will take place."