Part 10

I stopped when I got far enough.

I looked back, somehow hoping he followed me.

But he was not there.

Why?

Why do I feel this way? I'm such an idiot.

Why did I run away? What am I running away from?

I caught my breath and leaned on a wall. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself.

Breath, Krysh. Breath.

I don't know what to think anymore. All I could think of is Tyler. It's making me insane!

My heartbeat started to slow back to its original pace.

"Krysh?"

My heart almost jumped out of my chest. I opened my eyes and saw Van.

Why do I feel disappointed? Am I expecting him to show up?

"You scared the sht out of me.", I sputtered.

He laughed. I raised an eyebrow at him when he put his arms on my shoulders.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He smiled. I hate his smile. It looks fake.

"Let's grab some coffee.", he said and pulled me.

I tried to distance myself from him but it's no use. I sighed in defeat.

"Alright."

We went to the coffee shop across the campus. I didn't expect Van to be this popular. Everyone on the campus knows him. They were all greeting him and the owner of the coffee shop even gave us the coffees for free.

He said it was on the house.

Who's this guy? He must be from some influential family to receive this kind of attention.

He smiled at me when he noticed I was staring weirdly at him.

"Why? Am I gorgeous?"

I looked at him in disgust. He's so full of himself.

I rolled my eyes sideward.

"Why did you bring me here? Do you want to talk about something?"

I took a sip on the cold coffee I ordered and looked at the place. It's jammed pack by students from the campus. I wonder, has Tyler tried the coffee here?

Argh. What am I thinking?

He tilted his head and grinned. "I'm just curious about what kind of a girl you are."

My eyebrows furrowed.

"What do you care?"

"Well, just want to know why Tyler is obsessed with bullying you?"

I stared at him. How does he know? How much does he know?

I eyed him suspiciously.

"Or is he just obsessed with you? What's so special about you?"

"You're spouting nonsense."

He took a sip from his coffee and stared at the transparent cup.

"You know, I've been friends with Tyler for so long.. that I know you two are not just siblings."

What does he know? Did Tyler tell him?

No, Tyler is not that kind of person. I'm pretty sure he kept our secret. He knows what would happen if it went out in public.

This would ruin our parents' reputation. Especially now that they're already making preparations for the upcoming wedding.

I heard the door of the coffee shop open as more students fill up the shop. The tension between Van and I did not subside. What irritates me is the annoying smile plastered on his face.

It makes me want to punch his face.

"Uhh, you're such a lousy girl.", he said out of the blue and leaned over to wipe the side of my lips.

That's when he suddenly appeared.

Tyler grabbed Van's hands and shoved them away from my face. I looked up at him and saw how mad he was.

What did I do this time to make him this mad?

He looks like he's about to throw a fit.

Wait, is he jealous?

No. That's impossible.

Ha! What are you thinking Krysh? Dream on!

Why would he like someone like you? Are you as good-looking as Tiff? As sexy as the other girls? You don't even know how to kiss! You're just a lame loser.

"Hey, Tyler.", here goes Van.

He gave him his fake smile. The kind of smile that doesn't reach your eyes. It's so obvious. Are they friends? Or are they enemies? I can't read Van.

Tyler didn't bother to look at Van.

He focused his attention on me. There's something in his eyes, it's as if warning me that if I lie, I'm dead meat.

"Is something going between the two of you?", he asked like how a jealous partner would react. As if Van and I were caught doing something illegal.

Tiff popped out from Tyler's side and snaked her hands on his arms. My eyes fixated on their tangled arms.

"What's wrong babe?", Tiff asked Tyler.

Her voice makes my blood boil. Ghad! I wanna tear them apart. I want to push her away from Tyler.

I looked Tyler directly in his eyes.

"So, what?", I spat. "So, what if we're dating?"

I swear I saw his jaw moved. Is he really mad? That's what's painted in his face right now. The anger.. impatience..

But why?

"I'm telling your mom."

Just as quick as he appeared, he dashed out of the shop like the wind. He left Tiffany and his other friends. I stood there for few seconds, processing what he just said, and realized I made a big mistake.

"No, no, no.", I whispered.

"So, we're dating now?", Van said looking amused.

"Shut up.", I muttered before I went out to run after Tyler.

Tyler was already opening his car when I caught up to him. I pulled his arm to make him face me.

"What do you think you're doing?"

He looked at me. His eyes are dreadful. I felt my knees wobble in fear but I did not let him see thru me.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me closer.

"I tried not to cross the line, babe. But I just can't. You're driving me crazy.", he whispered in my ears. His breath fanned on my neck and I felt something inside me ignited.

D*mn.

Our eyes locked and the next thing I know, we were both gasping for air, our lips touching.