Part 59

"You're what?"

"I'm outside your house.", I repeated.

There was a brief silence before I heard his footsteps in the other line rushing towards the door.

He opened their front door.

"Hi.", He said, all smiles, not ending the call.

My cheeks turned red. I know I have mustered all my courage to be able to look straight into his eyes but seeing him still makes me speechless.

"To whom do I owe this pleasure?", He asked while taking short strides toward me.

"Tiffany.", I said the familiar name. He halted. His brows furrowed. He ended the call and walked closer to me. The familiar scent fanned my nose.

"What did she do this time?", He asked, starting to get mad.

I shook my head. "It's not like what you think it is. Don't be mad at her."

"Then what's it?"

If there's anything he should feel right now towards Tiff, it's anything but anger.

I stared at him. He tilted his head, his eyes questioning.

"Yeah, I know. I'm handsome.", He grinned.

I shook my head gently, biting my lower lip to stop myself from smiling.

"I... I want to ask you something."

I don't know where to start.

"Sure. What's it?", He asked, leaning on my car.

I swallowed the big lump in my throat as it ran dry.

"Ahm... You see...", I paused and averted my gaze to their lawn. "Tiffany told me something."

"Uh-huh.", He said, waiting for me to continue.

"I didn't expect her to say that. Considering our past. But... She said you went to Oxford."

I lifted my gaze and looked at him. He looked shocked but didn't say a thing.

"She said I should ask Van. And so I did."

He ran his hand through his silky hair. "What did he say?"

So he's not admitting nor denying it. I looked back at my fidgety hands.

"We fought. He said he did it for my own good."

He let out a sarcastic laugh. "That's some twisted shit. If anything, he did it for his own sake."

Silence.

"Why didn't you tell me?", My eyes stared at his. "You should have told me when we met."

He stared at me for a few seconds. "Would it change a thing?", He then gave me a sad smile. "It looks like you're already happy. It doesn't matter now."

I bit my lip. "I am happy. But you still should have told me.", I said as my voice gets smaller.

"Would you be able to talk to me this free if you knew I tried to reach out to you all those years?"

I tried to think.

"I don't. Maybe not. I might still be bawling my eyes trying to think of you.", I kidded.

He smiled. "I regret doing what I did in the past. But I never regret going after you in Oxford. I got to see you. Even just from afar. That somehow kept my sanity intact.", He chuckled.

His words made me feel giddy.

"I'm just happy you already moved on.", He gave me a small smile.

I... Don't know what to say.