46. Unexpected

The pressure... I know the reaction they were expecting.  They wanted the tears, the screaming, knees to fall weak as the devil so I'd fall to my lover's level.  "Umm..."  But I was incapable of reaching their standards tonight.  "You drop something?" I played behind something short of a laugh.

Prince could read me well.  He could hear the sirens in my head, yet, he still reached in his pocket.  "You know I'm not a speechmaker."  The little velvety box was propped open and everyone started freaking out at the chunk of ice in his hand. 

     Squeezing my own hips, I tried to imagine cement in my shoes to keep me from running. 

     "I rather not waste anymore of this life fighting the obvious.  So my queen, will you do me the honor in making me the most fortunate man alive?"

     They didn't even let me say yes.  Bonnie and whoever else yelled it out for me and everyone started hootin' and hollering.  So shaking my head, keeping my smile white, I gave him my hand. 

    I let Prince dress my finger then he stood and offered his lips to mine.  His kiss tasted like candy poison.  His hug felt like a spiked blanket.  

     In my ear, he said thank you.  In return, I said nothing. 

     "Let me see that rock, girl!" My mother demanded with the camcorder.

     Aleia came to model my hand for me.  "Is it life weighing you down, or is it this ring?"

     Many took turns congratulating us with hugs, smooches and blessings.  I was genuine with my gratitude but I was so overwhelmed with contradicting emotions.

     He betrayed me.

...

14 Days Ago

     Sitting up in bed, I was reading Terry McMillan's Waiting to Exhale.  Whitney said she loved it and mailed me a copy.

     My nose was in the book all night and now I was neglecting morning for more.

     Prince was at the door but I wouldn't lift my eyes.  "Baby?"

     "Hm?"

     "Can I ask you something?"

     "What?"  Girl... Robin, nooo.  Flippin the page, I saw him at the corner of my eye approaching.   

     "Good book, huh?"

     Giving him attention, I rest the book on my lap and watched him crawl to the edge of the bed.  "Sorry, babe."

     "It's okay," he said reaching for a kiss.  I bent forward and met him halfway.  "So...happy birthday."

     "Oh my God, I forgot it's my birthday."  He laughed with me.  "I literally woke up and grabbed the book.  Thanks for saving my page with your chain."

     "It was that or my sock."

     I laughed again.  "What did you want?  To give me something?  A gift maybe?"

     "Yes, close your eyes."

     "Ehh..."  One eye at a time, I blinded myself and there was hardly any movement from him before he said to open them.  "Ahh!"  I don't know if he had a little speech planned but I hopped off that bed so fast screaming YES, falling right on top of him.

     I didn't even really look at the ring before the tackle, I just know I saw he was proposing and freaked out.  After a crazy '94, this was the last thing I was expecting in the new year.  But I still wanted our forever.  In that moment, salty kisses on the floor, there was zero doubt in my heart.  I couldn't stop crying.