3. Hire Me

Friday/June 17, 1991/Minneapolis, MN

Wyman-Partridge Building

🎵Raspberry beretThe kind u find in a second hand storeRaspberry beretAnd if it was warm she wouldn't wear much moreRaspberry beretI think I love her 🎵 

🎵Raspberry beret
The kind u find in a second hand store
Raspberry beret
And if it was warm she wouldn't wear much more
Raspberry beret
I think I love her 
🎵 

"Um... Sorry," I smiled.  But it was the fifth time I apologized for my silence in the 30 plus minutes I'd been with Beverly Won.

"It's okay. Take a minute to think if needed."

The room was chilly, and I tried to hide my shiver the best I could. The blue blazer I wore didn't hug me tight enough. As I fought hard to focus, I eyed the cranberry sweater lying over the edge of her desk. The fabric was so lonely and I was so cold.

"Okay, my weakness is confrontation." I hated this darn interview question. But because Prince was truly my weakness, and this was all for a spot in Paisley Park, I tried my very best to get through it. "You know, like when there's an issue with another employee or something, or I think a procedure could benefit a few changes, I'm really bad at bringing it to management because I don't want it to come off the wrong way."

"And how do you work on improving this fear you have?"

"When I used to work at The Hilton, I found it easier to send a memo first to my supervisor, just to give a heads up that there's something I'd like to talk about."

"Have you ever had any problems with another employee?"

"Luckily, I haven't. Everyone there called me Smiley."

"Yes, I can definitely see why," she giggled, totally falling for me. "So, was The Hilton your first job?"

"No. My first job was at a Five & Dime Downtown."

"Interesting," she said. "And why did you leave The Hilton?"

"There was an issue with attendance," I said halfway honest. "You see, my grandmother had gotten really sick, and they wouldn't let me take days off to spend time with her, so I was calling out...and then she passed away so...I resigned before I was let go."

"Oh, that's terrible. I'm very sorry to hear that. We do offer bereavement leave in case of emergencies such as that. I would think The Hilton would have something in place as well."

"They did—or do. But I wanted to be there before she took her last breath, not just show up for the funeral. Plus, she lived all the way in Virginia."

"Oh, I see."

The halfway truth was that Cecille, Celeste's mother, had gotten sick in Virginia and I wanted to see her. She wasn't immediate family so I had to lie and say she was my grandmother. Honestly, she wasn't much of anything to me after she and her husband up and left me three years ago. But I wanted to show up for Celeste. She was an absolute mess after hearing her mother's days were limited. But after the whole fuss with The Hilton, Celeste didn't even take me to Virginia with her. But I was still out of a job.