49. Live From The American Music Awards

Monday/January 30, 1995/Los Angeles, CA

     On the red carpet, I tripped trying to show off my signature Louboutins. It was pretty hilarious. Even The Artist broke through his hard exterior and was laughing.

"Lawd, come here," he said.

I faced him and he grabbed my waist. Looking back at the cameras, I lifted my right foot to show off my red bottoms as they all asked. I couldn't keep a model face though, still tickled by my clumsy. But I had to show off these sparkled beauties from all angles.

Christian was a new friend of mine, and now his creations were highly sought after. People always said I was influential in the rise of his popularity. He spoiled me. The shoes on my feet were a birthday surprise collected just that day.

Earlier before the sun rose, Prince and I left the house for our hotel before anyone could say "good morning". Neither of us desired discussing last night's circus over breakfast. So we headed out and arrived to the suite where I found my gift waiting among many others. That was one part I loved about the new "fame" thing. People were always sending me stuff. No sex toys but good stuff like handbags, perfumes, shoes, etcetera. My excitement never waned either. I mean, this is the same girl who used to get happy about free pens at Career Day expos.

The Artist and I eased down the carpet, his arm never leaving my waist. I loved him under this light. Yeah, I had a nomination but I honestly just wanted to make him look good. By the way his eyes kept landing here and there on me, I'd say I was doing a good job.

"Why are you diminishing your accomplishments for a man!?" Stella yelled at me earlier in the day, all because I wouldn't stop yapping about my lover to my nail tech. "Praise yourself for once!"

"Stella," I laughed. "Please stop yelling at me. I'm very grateful for my nomination but he's getting a legend award for crying out loud. Sorry for being proud."

"It's not no legend award and regardless-"

"Oh right. He got that last year."

Heading inside the theater, my nerves finally kicked in. Being in the midst of stars made my head light, always.

In our row was Anita Baker. It was my first time meeting her and she gave me a hug lasting the length of her praise for me. She was very proud. I was just in awe that she even knew me.

"Tutti frutti! Oh rootie! Tutti frutti! Oh rootie!"

First performance, I was up on my feet rocking out to Tutti Frutti as Little Richard and The Go-Go's performed, celebrating the song's 40th anniversary. But midway, Prince pinched my pant leg and fingered for me to come close. So I sat down and leaned in.

"You gon' give these people behind us a heart attack," he said in my ear, which kinda made me laugh, 'cause he happily cosigned my haltered jumpsuit a month ago.

Boyz II Men were snatching all their noms. Too bad Leia couldn't come. She loved her some Shawn. In her absence, I sang along passionately to every word during their performance.

Roberta Flack, AMA's first winner in '74 we all learned, went up to present an award. It was exciting to see her in person. And my mind slipped into a memory, the one where Prince and I first kissed and her song was oh so perfectly playing on his stereo. That night he wore candy apple red, the same hue I dressed in tonight to match his ensemble.