36. Closer

Saturday/October 31, 1992

"Come over. Now. It's important." It was past 7 in the evening and as I drove to her place, a litter of costumed kids and shivering parents tacked on some time to my usual 10 minute drive to Nessie's. She lived in a nice two-story house; real nice neighborhood. So it was packed.

When I pulled up, she was at her door giving out candy to a crowd on her porch. She waved my way, then her finger told me to wait. The kids skipped on her lawn back to their parents waiting on the curb. One momma sounded off. "Nuh-uh, boy don't be walking on people's grass! I said walk down the driveways! You must wanna go home!" The child whined and they were lucky Nessie didn't catch it.

The garage door started lifting and one little dude, dressed like a doctor, was all up in my car. His momma started yelling too. "Tyler, what are you doing!? Stop being so nosey!" But his jaw dropped, and he was ready to freak out at the sight of me.

Laughing, I put my finger to my lips.

"I'm Doctor Fink! Look!" And he showed off his best air-keyboard solo.

Still tickled, I gave him a thumbs and then started easing into the garage. Before the doors closed I heard him screaming. "This is the best Halloween ever!"

Nessie was already scowling. "Little fuckers. I put a sign up and left candy out. They better not touch my doorbell." I followed her through the house and we settled in the living room. We had been cool for a number of years yet I never saw the upstairs. Still, I admired the home-feel every time I visited. It was just her and her two babies, a Yorkie and Pomeranian named Coco and Chanel.

"I have a number to call," she said. "You said Brown didn't want to tell his family to give them false hope but since his wife blew me off, I have no other choice. I have a number for his brother-in-law Clyde Johnson, Aivanni Johnson's husband I think. He lives in Florida and she still lives in South Carolina."

"Have you tried calling yet?" I asked, stealing a fun-size chocolate from the ripped bag on the coffee table.

"Nope. Wanted to wait for you. I just got it last night at work." Nessie worked the graveyard shift at the hospital. Her crazy ass was actually a decent nurse. "I don't expect him to answer so I'll leave a message mentioning Aívy and Officer Brown and hopefully he'll call back tonight. We can just chill while we wait."

"Chill and do what?"

"Chill. You don't always have to be fucking or playing music. There's more to life, Prince."

"Oh, is there? I'm sorry I wasn't aware."

Sitting beside me, she hit Speaker and dialed the number off the paper in her hand. It rang and to both of our surprise, a man picked up after the just the third. "Doctor Johnson."

We both kind of froze, thrown off by the quick greeting. I had to nudge her. "Uh, hi, Dr. Johnson. This is Vanessa Mercado calling. Do you have a moment?"

"How can I help you, Miss Mercado?"

She looked at me, and I looked back at her like why the hell didn't you practice this before I got here?

"Miss Mercado, I'm a busy man. How can I help you tonight?"

"Look, I'm sorry to call you like this." Nessie dropped phony tone. "I'll just get straight to the point."

I rolled my eyes and sat back on the couch.

"I'm calling from Paisley Park's office in Minneapolis and I just wanted to ask you a few things concerning your brother-in-law, Aivan Brown."