Part VI

1995 - Smash Hits magazine By Mark Thomas

By Mark Thomas

What exactly did you say at the Brits?

What I was trying to say is that me and the New Power Generation are completely free on stage but not on record. I don't own my music, my record company does. If I want to use something from Purple Rain, I have to re-record it or pay them money. That's wrong. I'd like to give you a copy of The Gold Experience but I'll get in trouble if I do.

When will it be released?

Never. If you want to hear it, you have to come to the show. And that's not on me. They won't release it.

So you're really going to tour for the next four years until your contract expires?

It'll be the best thing that can happen.

What about your life outside of music? Don't you have a lady waiting at home for you?

I don't have much of a life outside of music. And my lady doesn't sit at home waiting for me. She is the music.

To be clear, we are talking about Aívy, right?

Are you trying to get me killed? Who else would we be talking about?

Well, they say you had bit of a "thing" with Nona Gaye last year when you worked together.

A thing?

And by "thing," yes, I mean romance.

Well that's startling. I thought it was obvious. Did I not call Aívy my fiancé at the AMA's a month ago?

Well to be fair, you've always been evasive about Aívy, when you sit down for conversations like this.

For my entire career, I've never really did the kiss and tell thing. Just 'cause I'm out with someone doesn't mean it's "romance". But I'm more than just involved with someone now. It ain't no damn secret that Aívy is mine and I am hers. I don't like to talk about her because she's a delicacy for me and I don't want my words misconstrued.

Then why not let us talk to you with a tape recorder? Or at least pen and pad?

Because the mind is perfectly fine.

Fine. And I promise to get this right.

I trust that you will.

So bottom line is, you're in love?

It's beyond that but sure, you can call it that.

So you're not as weird as people think you are.

I've never considered myself weird. But I guess I can see why people would think I live a strange life. But I don't. Not from my perspective.

Do you do normal things?

What is normal to you?

Like play basketball?

Oh, I used to do it all. Basketball, horseback riding, boat sailing—but I don't have time anymore.

What do you have time for? Do you eat? What do you eat for breakfast?

Aívy.

Well alright. What about sleep?

I sleep when she lets me.

After hearing albums such as Velvet Fantasy and Come, I'd say she doesn't give you much shut-eye.

Nope.

When are you getting married?

We already consider ourselves married but soon we'll make it legal I guess.

So that's it? You're about to singlehandedly put Durex out of business then, huh?

Uh... Well I've been with her for the past four years. I'd think by now they've proven they'll be fine without me.

Since you're doing these interviews, does that mean you'll do a televised one soon? It's been 10 years.

Probably not soon but we'll see. I'm warming up to it. Maybe my wife will give me a reason to when she finally does one herself.

I know she's going to do an interview special with her Unplugged performance.

Yes. Everything will air sometime in April I hear.

What can we expect from her new album? It's coming soon right?

To melt. And yes, in a couple of weeks.

She does have a wicked voice. And if I may be blunt...

You may but be careful in the process.

Well...she is a beauty. Can I say that?

I'd never stop a man from speaking the truth.

Is she going to tour soon?

Hopefully.

And what's the meaning behind the album title?

That's something you'll have to ask her. I rather not give that away right now.

~*~

~*~

More of this story will be back later.

New chapters are under creation