9. Paisley Park After Dark

8:32 PM

     Prince wanted to see the carnation puppy, so we entered through the front

Prince wanted to see the carnation puppy, so we entered through the front. The complex didn't feel the same in the after-hours. He told me we weren't alone, as the soundstage was still being prepped, but all office personnel were gone. So lights were low, and all was still, except for the lamenting cooing echoing around us.

"That's the doves?" I never heard him that way.

"They get very loud," he snickered, from behind the reception desk. "Sometimes it's distracting when I'm alone here at night trying to work."

"Maybe they miss you."

"I doubt it."

Without him, I started venturing off beyond the lobby, to go upstairs and be with Divinity and Majesty. I was even on the lookout for a roaming Paisley.

"Hello, my beauties," I said, and the birds were quieter now, as if they were listening to me. "What's all the fuss about, huh?" Without thinking, I pulled back the cage door, and stuck my hand inside. Divinity jumped to me first, so I wrapped the white dove in my hands, and pulled her close to my chest. Before Majesty could fly free, I secured the opening.

"What are you doing?"

I spun, with the bird in hand, and was relieved to meet Prince's smile. "I'm almost sure this is Divinity...right?"

"Mm-hm."

Celeste showed me the differences, and said Divinity was a female, and Majesty a male.

"You're not really supposed to just go into the cage like that."

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm just so in love... I used to have a canary when I was younger. He wasn't pure white like this. He had faint highlights of yellow in his feathers. But he used to fly to my finger, and talk to me. I remember thinking he sounded like a car alarm sometimes."  I laughed to myself, thinking of Lemonhead. 

"What happened to him?"

"I was taken away from him." Prince didn't question me, he just let me have my moment.

I would've stayed longer, kissing and admiring the doves—I showed Majesty affection too, but Prince shortly after yanked on the knot at my hip, sending a strong flutter to my heart. "Come."

All anxious again, I left the birds and followed Prince down the hall and we turned to a closed door. I'd never even noticed it until this moment. It was rare I'd even be up on the second floor.

The keys jingled as he searched for the right one to gain us access, and once we were in, I found myself standing in a small foyer. There were a few steps, and then a plain wooden door, but beside that, a beautiful stained-glass door that led us into his private living quarters.