25. The Hideaway

PRINCE

Monday/July 30, 1990/Minneapolis, MN

Paisley Park Studios

Thirty-seven shows. Fifty-nine days.  And I was thirsty for more.  

     I hadn't been home more than five hours and I was already anxious to get back to Europe to continue my Nude Tour. My new movie Graffiti Bridge was set to release August 7th, but yet again— a revision rejected by the green giants. 

     So here I was. Flew all the way back home for more editing. At this point, I hardly recognized my original project.

"When's the last time you slept, man?" Teddy looked at me as if I wasn't welcomed in the room, his eyes judging my lazy stance up against the wall.

"I gotta grab something from Carol right quick." Trying to convince I'd really return in a minute or three, I turned out of the room with urgency. If I would've said anything about going to rest, they'd get lazy. They'd ease back down to their heels, rush out an exhale of relief.  Nah. I needed this shit done ASAP.

To get to bed, I went through my office, locked up the doors and snuck into the apartment. The bedsheets scented of an old lover. Sadly, I couldn't pinpoint a name. But I didn't need to. This was enough comfort. In seconds I was gone...in my other world.

The lackluster horses bobbed off rhythm. Some didn't move at all. Others in a pattern of freeze-n-go, all their colors chipping away with time. Even the music was waning from the whimsical feel it was composed to give, like an old music box winding down.

In the dirt, I stood and watched the sadness. Bulbs flickered and blew, one by one until all was dark. The oversized moon then lit the scene as the music still dragged, and I started my journey through the empty fairgrounds.

Fun was experienced here. Evidence all around me. Crumbled napkins rolling past my feet like golf balls driving to a hole. Fallen popcorn sprinkled everywhere, crunching beneath my boots, the buttery smell still fresh in the air. The rumble of a generator buzzing behind a tent fancied Jenny's Gyros. Beside it, Freddie's Fried Dough. Mmm. My mouth watering now with hunger. But no one was around to serve the lonely man in this dream.

Strolling, I picked a wrapped bouquet of cotton candy along my way to nowhere. Just as the third tear of fluff melted on my tongue, a greater presence joined me. I turned back, and she was in the distance. Laughing. And I smiled, because suddenly I remembered I had been looking for her.

The chase began once she ran off giggling, over near the dark, dying carousel. Reaching it, I nearly caught the hem of her red dress but I tripped over a black wire stamped in the ground. The horses stopped completely, no longer any music to ride to and my blue fluff flew away.